Author Topic: WWII USN YTL625 / James O達rien  (Read 9999 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: WWII USN YTL625 / James O達rien
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 14:04:14 »
The next day I was able to spray on an undercoat, start the fill/sand/rinse and repeat process.
The weather has been great for quick drying so I got in 2 sessions of fill, sand and paint on the hull.
Nothing Like an all white hull to show up any flaws.
Early days but you can get the picture. Still plenty of remedial work to do on the hull.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 14:05:47 »
The stern end of the keel/skeg has a fine, delicate edge to it which will take a bit more care and attention.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 02:03:19 »
I know its going to be the green one! it just has to be ...its the best. :-)

VANYA

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 00:19:25 »
She is looking very good well done.
Tugs are for life      George B

PHILNZ

• Nelson sunshine capital of NEW ZEALAND
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 21:33:53 »
Hi Steve , Awesome to see someone else has a love of these Beautiful vessels, The harbor board Green is probably my favorite paint scheme .
I got my set of plans from Paeroa maritime museum. you have done an excellent job of the hull from the GAs . My Hull was scratch built from photos of the James Obrien on hardstand before i sourced plans , the microglass was the northern Hemisphere YTL i built.
I look forward to you posting on this build as i have a soft spot for this vessel after living in Westport and lucky enough to have been across the bar on it a few times.

Phil 

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 17:03:33 »
Go for green 👍
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 17:32:05 »
Thanks George, Hayden & Phil.
Phil: It never occurred to me to contact Paeroa. Bummer, too late now.
Hayden: That green does look good. I have a 'Te Maru' on my wishlist so that would definitely be green.

The final parts for the little Hikurangi are still stuck somewhere in transit so I've had a couple of days over the Christmas break to get a little bit more done on the J O'B.
Sanded and addressed some of the bumps and flaws in the hull, and attached the bulwarks. Then the scuppers were cut out and drilled some positioning holes for the portholes and panama chocks. This morning I gave it a good polish with 600 Wet & Dry and it's not looking too bad. One more coat of primer and another session of 600 then 1200 W&D and hopefully it'll be ready for some paint.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 17:37:58 »
I've fixed most of the elbows on the curves and low spots in the ply. Slowly getting there we'll see how it looks after the next coat of paint.

Started on the superstructure. The basic components were laser cut out of 1.5mm ply. They slot together just like a kitset.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 17:43:14 »
It's surprisingly strong I've managed to knock it off the bench twice. It bounced luckily!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 21:17:21 by sea monkey »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 17:45:47 »
I can never resists a sneak preview at this stage of a build.
Still a long way to go but you can get the picture.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 17:46:31 »
And one more.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 19:10:37 »
Oh man....

You have nearly finished three models and I have not even started one yet.....

That's not cricket.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year Steve.
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 17:24:47 »
Thanks Hayden. I have had a little bit of time over the Christmas break to do a little bit more on the build. Having the worst summer weather for years has also given me a bit more time at the bench rather than the beach.

So far this build has been relatively straightforward and trouble free touch wood.
The first coats of primer showed up a few flaws in the hull so they have been filled and smoothed, and re-sprayed. I added the hate/gate (not sure what the correct term is) in the bulwarks, added the capping rail around the bulwarks and attached the rails in the suppers. The photos of the real boats show either 2 or 3 rails depending on the boat, I've gone for 1 as the gap is quite small. Hey I'm a modeller not a photocopier.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2017, 17:26:38 »
Also added the deck hatch bases and windlass mounting plate on the fo'c's'le. These will be the same colour as the deck.
The hull number is PE brass that I had done with the portholes, etc. It sits a bit proud at the moment but it should fade back after a few top coats.
The holes along the hull are for mounting the timber rubbing strips. They have been made from basswood, been stained, and will be attached after the hull has been painted. Same with the panama chocks/fairleads and the anodising plates.
Haven't figured out how to glaze the portholes in the hull yet. Might have to glue the 'glass' directly to the porthole frame but that's never very secure, and usually always ends up fogging.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 18:23:02 »
Well, the summer weather hasn't got any better for one reason or another I haven't had much time at the bench.
My propellors finally arrived but the stuff from Shapeways has been lost in transit since mid December. Can't do too much until I get those parts. I need the panama fairleads to finish the YTL hull and the warping drums to finish the Hikurangi windlass. I've also got a selection of ventilators and capstans in the order as well but they aren't holding anything up just yet.
It has been very wet and extremely windy (and that is something when you live in the windiest city on earth) so I haven't been able to do much painting either. Tried it one day and got so much dust on the paintwork that I had to re-sand it and start again.
Anyway, I did manage to skin the superstructure with 0.2mm styrene and added the window trim in styrene strip.