Author Topic: WWII USN YTL625 / James O達rien  (Read 21482 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: WWII USN YTL625 / James O達rien
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2017, 21:02:45 »
Some more...

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2017, 21:03:42 »
and again

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2017, 21:05:20 »
The mast stays were the last things to do and proved trickier than planned.

I used some tiny turnbuckles with cotton thread to represent the stay wire. The holes in the turnbuckles were too small for a needle to pass the thread through and I couldn't get the cotton on its own to go through both ends of the turnbuckle. The holes were the same width as the cotton just too small.

After about an hour of frustration and failure I had a genius idea.
Stop me if you've heard this one: I dipped the end of the thread in CA glue and it set hard and straight enough to allow me to thread it through the tiny holes. Brilliant!! After that it only took about 10 minutes to rig up the mast stays.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2017, 21:06:46 »
That trick might have made rigging the derrick a whole lot easier too.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2017, 21:08:32 »
Yet more

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2017, 21:10:20 »
Just a few more...

The searchlight is based on a USN 24" light.

There are no good photos or reference of the binnacle. The only image I have doesn't look anything like a standard USN fitting. The GA shows a very basic binnacle, so I've based my one on the GA version.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2017, 22:10:45 »
Steve.

Congrats on another exceptional build.

Considering I went on the original not that many months ago  to get you the photos,your work is exceptional and precise in such a short time.

Another masterpiece.

Hayden
VANYA

salimlun

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2019, 02:32:24 »
Hi Steve,

My Name is Alan, a R/C scale boat modeler in Hong Kong. I have been reading your post in recent months. One of them is particularly interested in the production article of WWII USN YTL Tug / James O'Brien, included that but not limit to your production process is quite exciting. I saw a photo named 添TL Hong Kong 1967 when I read the history of this ship. This photo was taken near my home (Yau Ma Tei Typhoon Shelter, Kowloon), My friend, Jacky and I has always liked to study the British government's official ships in Hong Kong since 1940 to 1997, such as: Royal Hong Kong Marine Police force, Customs and Marine Department. We are currently making two of 1/50 scale model of 45ft Royal Honk Kong Police tug boats PL10 and PL12 , I believe real one may be built from same yard in Auckland around 1943.

Now that we really hope to build this YTL tug (Marine No.28) from your reference photo, if you can share your laser cut drawing plan, and give us some valuable advice, we can start making this boat as soon as possible and promise I will keep your information as privacy.

regard,
Alan

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2019, 10:33:14 »
Hi Alan. Yes, I can send you everything I have on the YTL. I have templates/patterns for all of the major pieces needed to make this model. I also have many photos taken onboard which show a lot of detail.
Send me a personal message with your email address and I'll send everything to you.
Steve