Author Topic: transporting your heavy tug to the water  (Read 1845 times)

Jag70r

transporting your heavy tug to the water
« on: December 11, 2016, 15:41:48 »
Hello,

Would anyone care to tell me how you transport your tug especially if you don't always have an able body to bear a hand? A boat that has lots of detail and weighs between 65 and 75  pounds is no easy task. I devised a method, but I'm curious how others do it. Frank 

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Re: transporting your heavy tug to the water
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 21:40:46 »
Modified folding child stroller.  Seat area removed and added a flat padded surface to set boats on.  Unfortunately don't have a pic right now but will do one up if interested.  Stroller folds away for easy transport to the pond.

destroyer42

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:20:06 »
Hi jag70r,
use a fold up fishing trolley or folding garden trolley.
Destroyer42

Jag70r

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 08:57:28 »
Hi All,

I have my ex Mr Darby (now Pacific Salvor) on a trolley no problem there, but loading it into my car or truck is a different matter. What I have done is fabricate a loading ramp onto 2" hitch receiver cargo carrier purchased from Walmart. I then had a 26 gauge sheet metal box made to cover the whole package. I hinged one end of the box to allow the boat to be loaded from the passenger side of my Jeep. I will secure the whole package with tie down straps and line.

It's my intention to transport my boat where ever there is a suitable body of water.
I did all this because I'm solo, and it was my only option.

I guess my question would be do you think the boat can take the shock of transporting it this way, as it is hanging off the rear of the vehicle? The box measures 34x53x19 inches.

I've been working on this boat for over 30 years (on and off) now I'm ready to launch,
no time to start over again! Thanks, FrankO

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 10:39:27 »
As long as you have plenty of good padding between the boat and the box transport shouldn't be a problem.
How about some photos of your box and boat?
Steve

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:49:40 »
Be cautious - fellow over in Olympia area put his model in a small trailer and off he went - first bump - boat went up and back down - he had more pieces in the trailer than he had in the kit when he started it. A few years ago - might have posted the warning in RC Groups.
Padding plus a tie down of some sort might work.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 20:44:03 »
Is your jeep a soft sprung wagoneer type or a short based yj rock crawler?  Makes a heck of a difference to your boat.  Soft puffy sleeping bags make good padding.  Also the roads you will driving on to get to the pond.

Jag70r

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 10:41:21 »
I'll be transporting on a 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee. I plan on tying the little trolley securely then securing the boat to the cargo carrier hopefully staying well clear of the sides of the box. I tried uploading photos but my connection is too slow. All of my cleats on the boat are through bolted to the decks. My planned launch is Lake Las Vegas, all freeway driving from my house. I'll keep you posted how it goes......... FrankO