Author Topic: book database/spreadsheet of tug photos  (Read 1266 times)

Toby

• Site Supporter
book database/spreadsheet of tug photos
« on: January 17, 2017, 11:21:59 »
Hello all.

Research can often take as long as a build, depending upon the detail and accuracy of the modelling being undertaken. Often the process can be slow due to not knowing what books are available or what photos of which tugs are contained in any particular volume.

I wonder how many members would consider it a useful idea to create a spreadsheet which stated the ship name,  year built,  year of photo,  book title, author/compiler.  With perhaps additional information as to whether it was a port,  stern or other view or a closer-up detail etc.

It would require contributions from members too, for my library concerning tugs is not extensive. Whether images could be held in the database in the public realm is another matter, but once a member knew the book(s) which would be helpful to them they could seek to purchase the book, if available, or failing that ask the forum who may hold a copy. Then via private message a member may be able to supply the image(s) in question.

This idea came to me when, by simply trawling endlessly on the net, I came across a mention purely by chance to a photographic reference of Perseverance, formerly Imara. The photo was taken in 1951 and shows a number of differences to two other known photos of Perseverance and models bearing the name. Double Stable- doors is just one point which I had not noted on models to date, under either tug name. Certainly they would likely have been on from the start, the tug having been built for use in a hot climate. This is important because it affects build choice and accuracy. I thought, how many times do jobs have to be done twice on a model because of erroneous things included in kits or on plans in the name of cost-cutting or carelessness by the manufacturer or issuer respectively even if it is only the wrong number of portholes, wrong type of winch or Panama ports in the wrong place.  All frustrations which could be avoided keeping the hobby happy and less expensive.

Any how what do members think of this idea. ....?

Toby

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
Re: book database/spreadsheet of tug photos
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 12:44:39 »
Nice idea but it sounds like a huge amount of work.
All model boat forums have a search engine which will find any particular topic, and the members always offer info that would otherwise be hard to find. A shout out for help is often successful.
The photos I found for my latest build span 50 years and they show so many changes and modifications that unless you pick one day in the life of a boat you'll never be totally accurate. The tug I'm building now was never built 'to plan' and had about 10 different colour schemes; portholes, doors and hatches added, moved and removed; deck steel timbered and then steel again; lights changed, added, moved; winch regularly tweaked; and the safety gear changed all the time.
Too much reference can sometimes be as confusing as too little.
Perhaps members could mention on each build where they found their reference.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 13:05:06 »
Indeed it could be an effort but so long as information arrived it would basically be inputting data in to a set format.

Thank you for sharing your view for although about 40 have looked at the topic you are the first to say yes or no to the idea.

Toby
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 17:25:12 by Toby »

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 17:01:37 »
Good points Sea Monkey. I had thought about just using the search engine here on the
Forum but I have found that it is almost worthless unless you type in the exact subject
of a post.

I don't know what format of amount of work to create the information but it would for
sure make tugboat creation efforts go along at the best for those who want to make
an exact representation of a certain tugboat and its time.

As Toby pointed out, over 50 have checked out his post with no input. Thank you for
your input, Sea Monkey.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 11:46:38 »
Channel Sweep by Warlow has some great photos of tugs and warships.

50 Years of Naval Tugs by Hannan  lists snippets concerning more than 700 tugs and there are over 60 photos.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 11:48:28 »

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 11:52:44 »
If we agreed a format or order in which to note information then members could send the information from the books they have and I could add it to the database. Then the database could be emailed to those interested and any updated versions sent on request periodically.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 21:25:37 »
It is all very strange for, now there have been in excess of 100 views of this topic and yet no thoughts have been expressed; not even a yes or no as to it being of interest or not.

T

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 23:04:04 »
Well Toby, I see that there have been over 150 views of your post, that's a lot
of views for a specialized Forum like this. I don't want to be premature, but I think
that your excellent idea for a tugboat detail of certain classics has too small of
an interest group. That is, and I don't know the facts, lets say there are 2,000
Forum members and another 2,000 visitors a month. Again, these are not the
facts. . .I am making a "for instance" picture here.

Most of them like the convenience of a tugboat model that has all the parts ready
made and fairly easy to create their model. Lets say that there are 500 members
and visitors who prefer to create their tug and build it to as close a they can too
the "real tugboat" they want to own. And then there are those like me who are
satisfied with their own design that looks a "lot like" a real tugboat.

Over the years here on the Forum, I have been privileged to check out the shared
postings of about a hundred or so members that build drop dead beautiful tugboat
models and another 200 or so that have build super well build tugs.

You are in the super real tugboat creators class, Toby. You are the in the small
group of builders who set the standard for model tugboat building. The viewer
of this group's tugs can actually, vicariously, walk around the decks of
these jaw dropping beautiful models.

So, and again, I hope I am not speaking too soon, a superior idea Toby, but not
enough potential users is maybe the lack of support.

I support your idea but I would most likely never build a magnificent model tug.

Thank you Toby,
Michael

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 04:35:47 »
Hello Michael,
Thank you for your clear and thoughtful analysis concerning the response, or lack of, to the idea I had put forward.  You are more than likely correct and I have no idea how many members belong to the forum or the number who regularly trawl its pages.  Clearly 150 were at least curious as to what may be the content of the topic posting, but, for only one  to  effectively have proffered any comment, the others not even replying with a simple yes or no, I find to be a curious thing.
I appreciate that the forum likely has members who represent the whole gamut of model boat sailing, from those who simply buy ready- to- sail out- of -the- box models, to those, such as your self, who actually design and build the tug. It was kind of you to put me in a special category of modeler, but alas, I feel only rather average in my achievements to date especially having seen some of the super models others have made and  that I have as yet to complete one of the models and have it happily on the water. Everything is a learning curve having only ever been aboard one tug. Clearly I am going to have to find and visit harbors with tugs one can board and observe the various details specific as well as those which would readily be found on tugs generally. I am quite green of those who have worked aboard the vessels and have a photographic memory for the details and function of tug parts.

As for your intriguing designs, they are original,  fun and super by default

Toby

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:43:01 by Toby »