Author Topic: Flying Osprey  (Read 1586 times)

Kev30

Flying Osprey
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:09:00 »
Here's a model of the Flying Osprey at Shepton Mallet when the National Finals were held there in 1999. Wow how the years fly by. If my memory serves me right the gentleman who ran this model was from the Liverpool / Wirral area? The other photo which shows the rig being moved was a different model which belonged to Dave Semper from the Shepton Mallet Drifters club.

Regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 15:21:30 by Kev30 »

Kev30

Re: Flying Osprey
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:20:21 »
Here's another two photo's taken back in 1999 when the Shepton mallet Drifters hosted the National Tug Towing finals and these two photo's shows the inside of the Flying Osprey c/w water cooling tubes around the motors to keep them cool.
Other members on this forum might be able to help with more information on this model???

Regards
Kevin

poll

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 14:41:51 »

Hi Kev  The tug belongs to Mark Butler ( he now lives abroad ) it was converted form the 
  Karl tug, I have the Flying Kestrel both tugs have towed at Balne Moor m.b.c. I will have a
  look for some photos and post them tomorrow. Mark was a member at the wirrel m.b.c.

John

Kev30

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:55:27 »
Hi John
Good to hear from you. Thinking about it now Mark actually gave me his address as I sent some photo's up to him (days prior to digital being sent down the phone lines) and I think his father also worked for Howard Smith. I only found out about the Karl tug kit after they stopped production but I'm off to the Dortmund show in April and there's normally quite a few out there on display or on the big indoor pool.
How's your Velox tug performing?

Regards
Kevin

poll

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 12:41:04 »

Hi Kev   2picis of the inside of the Osprey.  the finished model for sale sorry just the tyres
  to fit back on.

John

poll

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:50:28 »

This is the Velox you asked about, people say they will not tow they must have got there's
   Wrong, tows like a gudun, ( bit of Yorkshire for you ) it's good one. lol

John

Kev30

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 13:57:31 »
You must of got there at the right time there John as even Graupner pulled the Velox before the kit feature was in Model boats magazine???
I've attached two photo's taken down at Fawley in 2006 and the great thing is that the Tenax was purely doing these maneuvers for my benefit and what a tug and Solent Towage really do look after their tugs.

Regards
Kevin

Kev30

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 14:05:14 »
I know this page is intended for the Flying Osprey but anyone interested in the voith propulsion system or model voith tugs please look at the photo's that are in the "Voith Turbo Fin" page that is on this site, as before the Graupner unit come out these were the first model voith units I've seen and they worked / performed beautifully. Again these models were taken at the Dortmund show in 2007.

Hope there of interest
Regards
Kevin