Author Topic: Thames days on Youtube  (Read 991 times)

Kev30

Thames days on Youtube
« on: February 17, 2017, 16:10:59 »
Video post on Youtube which I think members will find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgOgYqdE7g

Regards
Kevin

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Thames days on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 00:25:19 »
Thanks Kevin, some lovely shots of the Ionia there, it shows just how slow and steady towing really is, we Never went flat  out at it, just steady and safe. Lovely.
Tugs are for life      George B

Kev30

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 02:07:02 »
Funny enough George I thought you would like that video on Youtube being of the old Thames tugs rather than the modern ones.
Here's two photo's attached taken on a very sunny day in your home town last December!!!
I expect you see these tugs more than three times a day but I thought you might like these, interestingly enough there were five tugs at Gravesend that day and only one is registered in London? You even have a Bristol tug in the mix (Brunel). My main reason for my visit was to look over the new Svitzer London as when I was there the guys asked me if I was interested in going down to the London Gateway that afternoon to pull a container ship away from the quay but unfortunately I was on my way to Essex that afternoon.

Oh and your river cafe on the pier where the Tilbury ferry sails from was closed, do they only open during the summer months???

Regards
Kevin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:11:26 by Kev30 »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:22:09 »
Hi Kevin, I didn't know there was a river cafe there, only the Riva bar and restaurant, oh and the three daws pub nearby.

Kev30

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 06:10:15 »
Hi George
I was travelling from Maidstone and arrived between 09.30-10.00 expecting the cafe on the pier to be open so I could watch the river activity whilst drink tea, and when I saw it was shut I walked to Mcdonalds in the main town. I know what your thinking BUT NEEDS MUST!!!

Also a tad early to frequent the local boozer especially when I'm going to Svitzer HQ straight after.

Regards
Kevin

Kev30

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:09:19 »
Here's another video on Youtube by the same chap that done the other video of Thames shipping hope its of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWquV4zRMqE

Regards
Kevin

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 10:39:19 »
Thanks Kevin, some of our erstwhile model tug skippers could learn a lot from these videos, the Ionia wouldn't have cracked an egg pushing onto the Uganda.

Kev30

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:12 »
With out looking for some old Lekko magazines George the Plasma tug was a single voith unit tug but I'm sure that Howard Smith had some tugs identical to the Plasma when they had the Port Talbot / Swansea contract back twenty years ago as they were used for the harbour work. Some great shots of the Ionia at work.

Regards
Kevin

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 00:27:09 »
Hi Kevin ,yes they had the two ex PLA tugs and called them Burma and Watercock.
Not a very good photo,but it is the only one I have of them in Alex colours.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 00:31:18 by model tugman »