Author Topic: best way to paint and build  (Read 970 times)

Fenwick 1956

best way to paint and build
« on: March 11, 2017, 13:11:25 »
hi all this is my first tug build so learning as i go along have started to build sub structers wheel house and main deck should i build and fit together then paint or paint then build also best paint to us? i will be brush painting i have exspereance with building and radio gear (trucks cars ) all help greatfull (smit nederland) kit

des

Re: best way to paint and build
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 13:34:15 »
Generally, when you assemble the sub-structures together there will likely be some gaps that you'll want to fill with putty - this will make a mess of your paint job as you fill and then rub back.  Therefore for this reason I would usually paint after assembly.  Although, contrary to this advice, for my current model I have pre-painted, then assembled - I don't think I will do this again.  Also, if you pre-paint and then assemble you may need to use a different adhesive for the joint, as most plastic solvents won't work (or don't work as well) on painted surfaces.

Personally I use automotive acrylic lacquer paints - custom filled spray cans for larger areas, or brush-on touch-up bottles for smaller areas.  For mid-size jobs I have a micro sprayer, which uses much-thinned touch-up paint.  After painting I then apply decals, signage, etc, then one or two coats of gloss clear-coat acrylic lacquer spray.

For the underwater part of the hull I use a red-oxide primer spray which can be obtained at most hardware stores.

I use auto paints for two reasons - I can get it made up in any colour I want, in small quantities at reasonable prices, in spray or liquid;  also, model paints only come in limited colour choices, and are very expensive when looking at $ per litre comparative pricing, even though I usually wouldn't need a whole litre.  But I do use model paints (acrylic) for smaller, detail items and for handrails, etc.

Des.

Fenwick 1956

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 13:41:17 »
thanks for info do you prime before paint ??

des

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 19:27:27 »
Most times, yes.  I mainly use a high-build auto spray primer on hulls, decks, superstructures, masts, etc.  Lightly rub down between coats.  I often do not prime small detail parts or handrails, because this can give a thicker, furry appearance, as these parts are usually too small to rub down the primer before painting.  So, these smaller parts I usually give an extra coat of model paint to ensure an even coverage.

Des
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 19:29:32 by des »