Author Topic: Researching Imara/Perseverance 2017 Greenwich Archive  (Read 5673 times)

Toby

• Site Supporter
Re: Researching Imara/Perseverance 2017 Greenwich Archive
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 03:36:00 »
Hello Des

A friend was highlighting to me the same issue. He had the hull ready from the kit and placed the shafts etc. Then he cut the deck to the lines and found that this bore no relation to the hull.  Then stern pieces he thought he would cut outside of the line and then trim. The pieces were yet small and not to the correct curve albeit the lines were pre-printed on the plastic!

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 05:10:36 »
ANOTHER GLARING FAULT WITH ALL MODELS I HAVE SEEN TO DATE is:

That there are only three windows (and wrong type of) in the front wall of  the main deck superstructure,  when obviously (considering the use and layout of the rooms) there would have been, actually were and ought thus on all models to be FOUR !

Toby
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:12:24 by Toby »

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 16:59:56 »
Tonight's titbit of information is that the two coal scuttles, one port and one starboard a midships, should be 75mm astern of where they are shown on the model plan. That is they ought to be opposite the lamp room door (starboard) and Lascar washplace door (port) ; just stern of the centre of each door. The scuttle is, on the original plan, shown to be seated in a rectangular rather than square frame of wood within the surrounding planks.

This position makes more sense because, below are the bunkers.

Toby

PS any one who wants me to upload an image; let me know.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 17:22:38 by Toby »

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 17:19:51 »
The grating over the rudder steering quadrant at the stern needs modification. Within the 'frame' about the grating, yes, there are four sections but the outer sections are 5 x  the width of the inner sections.
All framing being equal.
Can upload a tracing if any one is interested.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 15:27:46 »
Quick hand-drawn sketch but to scale with detail in the correct places.
Note the different positions of the port and starboard windows.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 15:45:59 »
Quick sketch but to scale of the grating over the rudder quadrant.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 20:05:46 »
I have just noticed in my notes the reference to Deck Lights, the equivalent I assume to a porthole in the the planking /decking of the ship.  It appears that this tug  has two at the stern, one port and one starboard between the bollard and the hawser rack/cage.

These lights as far as I can grasp were of  prismatic glass and provided better light for below decks.

Anyone here share anything about this subject. Were they a common feature  in 1930s?

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2017, 18:12:37 »
I have fixed in the motors. Using two Johnson brushed motors 6-12v which have high torque and low revs.  Yet to test the speed of each with a gizmo.

The boat is in the bath; for I am just testing the hull  for leaks.
Clearly the lead shot and epoxy I filled the skeg with has lowered the stern some and the bow is quite high. There are the batteries and smoker to add and the mechanism for raising and lowering the anchor so have yet to arrange and sort the layout for ease and ballast.
More painting to be done as only grey primer on at the moment.  There is the riveting to correct and to add and to remove here and there before top coat.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2017, 18:28:27 »
What have other modellers done concerning the riveting effect of the hull plates?

Have any corrected/enhanced/altered the effect at all?

At present I am concerned with that up to and including the rubbing band.

I ask, because whilst I was downing a cuppa my eye was suddenly drawn to the size of a number of plates on the hull. For example, the first long plate I measured was 153mm in length.  Well at 1:32 scale that would equate to a plate of 4986mm in length; or in proper measurement, 16ft !
Can this be? Were plates of such a length used? I would have thought 8ft x4ft would have been more usual?  In 1:32 scale that generally would be 75mm (76.2mm)?

Opinions anyone?

It would be nice to hear from someone for there appears to be a deafening silence from members concerning this topic;  rather surprising if it is a popular model and there had been 1300+ views too.

Toby
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 18:34:37 by Toby »

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2017, 17:02:01 »
Spotted this picture online.

I have added arrows in order to indicate errors whether anyone builds the model as Imara or Perseverance.

HULL: wash ports to big and have hinges on the front and the spacing is adrift.
The Panama ports are in the wrong place and too high.
The name is high.
SUPERSTRUCTURE saloon /deck level:
Wrong type of windows, the second door and second window on the port side are the wrong way around, only 3 windows on the front instead of 4, wrong type of doors on the whole structure, and which do not have port holes, wrong type of door handles, no hinged flaps with port holes beyond the steps,  completely the wrong type  of boat davits as they should not sit on the upper deck but rather be fastened to the superstructure wall beneath pivoted do that they can move forward.

The second superstructure is missing a vent on the roof above the latrines and has the wrong type of doors.

Also it would seem that tyres were never used as fenders but rather a rope type as indicated in original plan and in photographs

For Perseverance the hawse rack is removed.
The cowl vent in top of the companion way is correct for Imara and initial period when bought by RN and changed to Perseverance but as Perseverance this was changed to a much taller version and later changed to a different type altogether and similar to that found on the second superstructure at the stern.

Hope this gives an idea of the what is needed with this tug just as basic.

I am currently re organising the rivet detail on the hull.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 18:43:42 by Toby »

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2017, 17:57:21 »
Starboard hull riveting now corrected and completed. Plates now largely 3"x 1 1/2" in size which looks a far better proportion than the double length plates of 6" which equates to 16ft!

I have attached three 'phone pics taken during a pva riveting break.
Since these were taken,  note,  that I have added rivets to the under the rushing band in order that it looks fastened to the hull!

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2017, 18:05:04 »
How many builders of this model or generally when using a fiberglass hull  strengthen the keel inside?

I ask for whilst riveting I noticed that the bottom of the boat is flexible and certainly more than I would have thought or like.

I have fibre glass cloth and resin but wondered whether to strengthen with strips of wood .....sorry of lollipop/ sucker /Ice-cream sticks. ..glueing or epoxy or fibreglassing them in even if putting fibre glass cloth over the top.

There are the batteries to consider so strengthening I think would be wise.

Suggestions?

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2017, 19:12:48 »
I was going to start the port side but at 4am I think it must be bed time.

Nearly finished the bulwarks.  Have the riveting and two Panama ports to place and cut out on the starboard side and some general sanding.

I did want to increase the angle of lean of the bulwarks but not sure how or if it would be possible at this stage. The bulwarks seem rather upright than slightly inclined.

Toby

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2017, 07:16:34 »
I had thought that your getting the rivets to scale a bit too much. . .but seeing your finished
work I can see that you are right on. Looking at the hull I find that it pulls me into being
able to experience the real tug as she was. Your tug's spirit is strong and demands one's
eye to really check it out and feel the presence. . .

Thank you for such quality attention to details Toby,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2017, 09:18:48 »
Thank you Michael.
Once painted hopefully all will look OK.  A little bit of weather too.
Just oordered some materials to make A-frames with.
I have strengthened the floor of the hull with lollipop sticks resin and fibre glass.  Today I hope to finish that and layout the batteries and smoker etc and anchor winch!
I am just changing the port bulwarks sheer to match the starboard and then  i can finish the Stern and work from there working out the plates and rivets with the aid of photos.

Re the propellers, no reply as to whether other builders have kept the props at 70mm or used 90mm 4-blade.

We are getting there ......I think. .....

Toby