Author Topic: Researching Imara/Perseverance 2017 Greenwich Archive  (Read 4302 times)

Toby

• Site Supporter
Re: Researching Imara/Perseverance 2017 Greenwich Archive
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2017, 12:55:23 »
Bought Mobile Marine Models a-frames or what they term prop shaft supports. Seem to be a nice quality and sturdy and certainly better than the distorted white metal versions in the kit.  The service was quick albeit over charge on postage by 3 even allowing for envelope cost and VAT on the postage and envelope.

I have cut and filed one to shape. Have yet to make the feet and fasten.

CAN ANYONE ADVISE WHETHER THE FEET WOULD HAVE BEEN RIVETED ON TO THE SKEG/HULL OR BOLTED  ON TO THE SKEG/HULL.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2017, 12:58:42 »
Poor light and mobile 'phone camera.  I shall try to upload other photos in due course.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2017, 13:00:08 »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2017, 02:49:47 »
I would say definitely Riveted Toby.👍
Tugs are for life      George B

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2017, 02:57:54 »
Thank you George,
I shall make plates/feet with rivet effect.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2017, 11:21:51 »
Whilst I was having a bit of a tidy up today I, for some strange reason,  decided to weigh the white metal fittings that are meant to be used on and above deck. I must admit that I was rather surprised by what to me seemed excessive weight.  The supplied moulded superstructure, funnel, boats weighs 703g /1lb 8 3/4oz and the white metal weighs in total 1378g / 3lbs 6oz. The funnel rim alone weighs 76g / 2 3/4oz which, so high above deck, must be the wrong place to add weight on a model when we try to build hull-heavy rather than top-heavy.

Does it seem a lot of weight for this 1/32 scale tug to other members thinking?

Toby
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:23:50 by Toby »

des

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2017, 16:32:39 »
Hi Toby

My understanding is that your Imara/Perseverance is about 1105 mm overall length;  this is the same length as my Model Slipways AZIZ.  But your Imara has a broader beam than my AZIZ.  My AZIZ ended up with a total displacement of around 10.5 kg, so I am guessing that your Imara will end up somewhat heavier - probably 11 or 12 kg.  On that basis, I don't think that your 1.3 kg of white metal castings is likely to be a problem.

Also, even though the funnel top is heavy and relatively high, and the rest of the white metal is all above deck, there will be much more weight low down in the hull from motors, batteries, RC stuff, and ballast which will provide stability.

If other modellers had found that the weight of the funnel top casting was such as to affect stability you would expect that they would have made some comment along those lines on this or other forums.

Des

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2017, 00:56:29 »
Good to hear from you Des,

Likely you are correct about others commenting, should they have found the weight to have caused the boat to be top heavy.

I shall look for videos on YouTube to see how models sail. I suppose I have just thought always that the lighter the top and the more ballast you can have gives the best stable cutting through the water without any bobbing about even in rippled or choppy pond waters.

Toby
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:45:37 by Toby »

deep diver

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2017, 05:49:37 »
Hi Toby

I have just came across you Build log for the Imara/Perseverance,

Some time back in the early 90's I purchased a hull of the Perseverance along with the templates of the deck and deck housing's from South West Models, (model now out of production) so far I have only placed the deck beam's into the hull and will be starting to drill out the prop shaft "A" frames and the shaft into the hull.

Looking forward to you updates

Fred

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2017, 09:11:06 »
Hello Fred,

Thank you for your comment to my post concerning the Imara / Perseverance tug. 

I acquired a second-hand kit cheap and expected it to be a quick build compared to my other boats. It would have been too if I just wanted to build any old thing lacking in accuracy to the actual ship but I don't see the point in that unless one is just building a model boat with a nice appearance and then renaming it too. 4 weeks build time I should have thought ample.

However,  with a little research as you will read in my two comments/threads on this forum,  one finds that there is much to change whether one wants the model to be Imara or Perseverance.

Soon I hope to show the hull and deck as it ought to be for both boats because they are the same.

I assume you have the twin screw version and not the single screw version.  THE DOUBLE SCREW IS THE CORRECT VERSION.
The full-size ship was never a single-screw vessel.

You will need to change the rivet effect of the hull plating and match both sides.  DO NOT CUT OUT 6 WASH PORTS and DO NOT PUT THE PANAMA PORTS WHERE SHOWN or PUT THE PANAMA RIMS on the outside of the bulwarks as per kit instruction or models online IT IS ALL WRONG.

Have fun with your hull build. I have 75 mm brass props and they ought to be OK for the pond but likely will get a pair of 90mm which would be correct scale. As to whether the 90mm would be even better than the 75mm at the pond no one has commented about this.

I may have to update a few measurements stated concerning washport and Panama port distances along the bulwarks. But I am waiting until I have finished the hull. A slight compromise here and there may be needed to compensate for hull length of the kit etc.

Keep us updated with your build.

Let me know whether you intended to finish the ship as Imara or Perseverance.

Toby
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 17:52:36 by Toby »

deep diver

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2017, 10:29:45 »
Hi Toby

Thank you for your reply, I intend to finish her as the Perseverance twin screw, a member on Model Boat Mayhem sent me some photo's of his SWM Perseverance see enclosed photo (I hope) I think I will have to talk with NMM to see if they would send me the deck plans for her, as I have no plans to work from.

I am also building along side her Mobil Model Marine Lady "T" as they seem to have a passing resemblance,

Looking forward to your up-dates

Fred

marinaru_ro

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2017, 06:36:46 »
Absolutely excellent thread so far Toby. Thanks!
George
Romania

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2017, 07:11:56 »
Thank you George.

When I have the Drifter completed I shall return to working on the Perseverance.

Toby

marinaru_ro

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2017, 09:58:09 »
Please do so, i'd love to read more on your research work.
It took me four years to redraw the plans for a romanian WW2 destroyer built after british Shakespeare class leaders. I have also bought several plans from Mr Michell at NMM.
I really apreciate your work!

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2017, 10:33:27 »
It will likely be a few weeks for I have several boats on the go and I have to be in Germany for one week as well. As soon as I have done more to the boat I shall share on the forum.
T