Author Topic: Old Timer  (Read 431 times)

FredY

Old Timer
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:21 »
There hasn't been any tug art for a while, this is my painting of the tug tender Daniel Adamson which was built 1903 and now beautifully restored and in steam. I think she would make a lovely model.

Fred

des

Re: Old Timer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 13:28:14 »
G'day Fred

Interesting to see your painting of DANIEL ADAMSON, set on Sydney Harbour, with the bridge in the background - which wasn't completed until 1932 - long after the ADAMSON was built.  And it is flying the Australian Red Ensign, which wasn't legislated until much more recently - in the 1960's I think. But in other respects the view around the bridge, and in the foreground, suggests an earlier time.  So the painting is of the restored vessel?  And presumably it is an Australian vessel, residing in Sydney.  So, is it at the Maritime Museum, or privately owned;  and if I visit the Museum, can I visit on board?

Des.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 23:11:12 »
Hi Des .  I think you will find that the bridge in the painting is the Silver Jubilee Bridge on the Manchester Ship Canal matey.
The Silver Jubilee Bridge or Runcorn Bridge crosses the River Mersey and the Manchester Ship Canal at Runcorn Gap between Runcorn and Widnes in Halton, England. It is a through arch bridge with a main arch span of 361 yards. Wikipedia
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 23:13:04 by model tugman »
Tugs are for life      George B

des

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 23:14:25 »
Yes - you're right.  I  missed the absence of the pylons at the ends of the SH bridge span.  So the flag would be the English Red Ensign?  I thought that would occupy the whole flag area, not just the top corner.

Des.

FredY

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 07:34:21 »
Hi Des,

Thanks for your observations Des, I should have added a bit more info about the painting.
The location is as George says on the Manchester Ship Canal, The tug was spotted laying at Ellesmere Port boat museum in a delapidated and vandalised condition  by a Mersey tug skipper who, after much effort, managed to buy it for the princely sum of one pound. The tug was then towed down to Liverpool and, thanks to the work and goodwill of a lot of people and companies is now fully restored and working. And yes, if you come over to Liverpool, you can visit or take a trip on her!
Incidentally, I have put Sydney's ''coat hanger'' in a painting I did of the Canberra but I prefer painting tugs.

Regards, Fred.