Author Topic: New Tug Hibernia / Avanger  (Read 1258 times)

dimtim

• http://www.alvastonpiratesmodelboatclub.co.uk/
New Tug Hibernia / Avanger
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:10:43 »
Afternoon All,

Well what have I done. Had a great weekend at Coalville model boat show(brillant Show) and ended up coming away with a Avanger Tug boat kit :).

I have a spare robbe 100 motor from my Odin build. Do you think this will be ok or too much for it.
Also is it worth putting in a bow thruster too
Cheers

Tim
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:14:01 by dimtim »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: New Tug Hibernia / Avanger
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:43:00 »
A robbe 1000 will be fine, but please do Not put a bow thruster in her as she Never had one.
The kit unless it has been upgraded is wrong in a lot of places, one of the more obvious is the funnel, the Avenger/Hibernia had elliptical shaped funnels not flat sided ones,the hull shape aft is totally wrong, the stern frame is wrong as the shape of the steering cover aft is for the time she had a Kort  fitted not a rudder prop *bottom*,,the lifeboats and davits are wrong as well as many other items. Like the rail stanchion both tugs had round bar rails and stanchions not flat ones.I did build one of these kits and notified Dave  Metcalf of all that was wrong but never even got a reply.I worked these boats from when they first arrived on the Thames so I do have some knowledge of them.
Tugs are for life      George B

dimtim

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 08:53:40 »
thanks Model Tugman,

Was thinking of putting a Kort on it :), wasn't sure about the thruster but happen to find a photo online with it on.

really looking forward to this build as will be first totally brand new model as normal buy 2nd hand and then have to rip it apart and rebuild them. if I was to go for a kort, what size kort and prop would you put on it.

Thanks

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:37:39 »
Hi Dimtim, even in their new lives Avenger in Canada and Hibernia in Greece they have not had Bow thrusters fitted, the kort that I used was a 100mm one but steerable the ones that the real tugs had fitted in later life were Towmaster ones which were fixed but with three rudders fitted.
The pictures show Avenger in dry dock and you can just make out the ruder configuration and the Ionia which had the same set up.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 11:42:51 »
Just for a bit if interested here are a couple of pictures of Avenger after her trip from Gravesend to the Great Lakes Canada.

dimtim

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 12:07:24 »
cheers, will order one of the 100mm robbe one as i know that motor can handle it.

Kev30

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 13:47:43 »
I'm not sure when your photo was taken of the Ionia down at Bideford George but my Dad was in the area a fortnight ago and says she's in a really sorry state and not even a trace of any new paint to prevent anymore decay/rust to her steel work. As there's a new vessel in the area transferred from the Bristol channel/ Severn the Freshspring a steam driven vessel and she's up for receiving lottery / grants to help her with restoration.
Sorry its bad news but thought I'd keep you posted

Regards
Kevin 

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 23:28:35 »
Yes thanks for that info Kev, it really is sad to see such a lovely tug like her go to wrack and ruin she was always one of my favourites, built very heavily for work in the Docks, and when she was based a Felixstowe and had to go outside to the rolling grounds she did just that.  Geo

dimtim

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 11:44:46 »
Hi All,

Been busy on the build and not to happy with the kit. Just found out that the CNC parts are about 1.5 too short all the way round(doesn't sound much, but it adds up. thought the hull need pulling to gether but it too short on the lenght too.

put the rudder on the plan and yep, smaller than might to be. Made up a hatch too just to make sure and that too small too.

I know before, the parts were printed on the sheet but now they are cnc.

Has any one else built this and found this too.

Kev30

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 13:55:39 »
I'm sorry to hear your having problems with you Hibernia/Avenger kit Dimtim I would drop Modeltugman a PM as he's built one of these from the kit and most probably be able to give you a few pointers, and also he used to work on the tugs down at Gravesend.

Regards
Kevin

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 04:18:27 »
Hi Matey, As Isaid in the first post I found the kit from Metcalf to be totally wrong in many areas, I can't comment on the reworked kit from the new supplier but it sounds as though this has its many faults as well.
If you are going to make it into a working , towing model I would totally ditch the stern frame ,rudder and prop and either put a kort nozzle on ,or at least make up a stern frame etc to suit the hull, I can send you a section of the original builders plan of that area if you need it.
I would also replace all that plastic deck and superstructure with plywood, otherwise every time you touch anything it is going to break,or give way.
It was a very expensive and very disappointing kit when it first came out and it seems as though nothing has changed.

dimtim

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 13:47:56 »
Just been in contact with the supplier and going to have a look into this and get back to me.

Good service from them :)