Author Topic: Scale Figures  (Read 1437 times)

marky

Scale Figures
« on: April 13, 2017, 03:46:20 »
I have noticed a few topics about scale figures a wee trick a friend has used was to take an existing figure and get it 3D scanned ,you can then scale the scan up or down to suit and then get the figures  3D printed ,he has used it to scale up pipe band pipers and drummers  from 1/50th to 1/25th and once fettled and painted you would never know the difference between the new and the original  and having the file can print as many  he needs .

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: Scale Figures
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 17:55:51 »
Hello Marky. . .thank you for the tip about making scale figures by 3D scanning.
A builder can have many more options employing this approach.

Do you know a little about the procedure and an estimate on costs involved?
Being aware of a few of the basics would help put the copying of figures in
prospective for us all.

Again, thanks Marky for the heads-up with an excellent idea,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Volker

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 23:31:32 »
From my point of view there still is the copyright on the figure to be scanned. Some one designed and produced it.
Volker

marky

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 04:16:26 »
 Sorry if I opened a can of copyright  worms ,The figures my friend had scanned were 1940s lead soldiers he bought at a car boot sale for buttons ,he had them scanned at a copy centre in Glasgow ,he got better results after the figure had been painted matt black to take off reflective surfaces .If you bought a big bag of cheap mass produced (toy story )type soldiers and cut them up and remodelled to suit and then got them scanned and printed  I don't think this would infringe on copyright ,I will see if I can get the unit price he paid for the scanned figures ,Also notices that my local library has a couple of 3D printers.

Cheers Marky 

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 18:13:02 »
Yes Marky, I'm pretty sure that it's selling the reproductions that would indeed cross the
line for copyright infringement. I pictured making small figures from molding them in clay.
However, your idea for cutting up some plastic figures and gluing them back together
to form them performing different tasks is pretty clever.

Thank you Marky for the new ideas,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

marky

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 04:11:09 »
Don't know if anyone else remembers swapits  ,these were figures usually cowboys and Indians ,and also space men that came in packets of breakfast  cereal (in the UK) that had interchangeable parts - heads, hands, hats , headdresses and if I can remember correctly the bodies also came apart at the waist these would be so handy  , this was in the 60s so I could be having a senior moment.

Cheers Marky