Author Topic: Next project  (Read 716 times)

marky

Next project
« on: May 10, 2017, 04:08:21 »
For my sins I have been promoted at work which means I now have to manage a group of skilled technical staff operating workshops in a higher education facility one of these happens to be the laser printing facility ,so while I work on my current project they are going to cut out my next one (yeehaa) I am going to endeavour to attempt a paddle tug called the Aid ,using the drawings from the St Canute I am going to get 2 forward ends cut from bow to mid-ships  and elongate by getting extra mid frames cut ,and use the computer to elongate the keel .that's the theory  I think it will work but i'm new to this lark so any help would be appreciated, scaling up the very small drawing I have of the Aid the frames would give it a slightly wider beam but for my purposes it is going to be a model and not an exact scale replica .Just have to speak nicly to my Technical guys and buy them lots of biscuits.

Cheers  Marky 

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: Next project
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 06:47:17 »
Your project to laser print your model sounds quite interesting. Many here are involved
in the process and so you should hear some news here on the Forum. I am one of those
who want to know more.

Thank you for sharing Marky and I hope the very best for your efforts and those of your
students. I found this picture on the Internet and it gives an idea of what the "Aid" looks
like in her day.

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 09:22:27 »
Great photo find Michael!

I would like to know more about laser cutting etc as I want to try to create a few designs and also build certain models were laser cutting would be easier and quicker to build with.

Any one any contacts in the UK?

Toby

marky

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 03:17:47 »
What I have done so far is to trace the frames, keel and deck and I am going to get it scaled to 1/50th at the Uni repro dep't this will me a working drawing I will also ask them to make me a file using Adobe illustrator which is compatible with the lasers it also means I can do little or major tweak's without having to redraw everything , I will also use illustrator to design and draw the superstructure ,as soon as we start cutting I will bravely attempt to put up some photos .

Cheers Marky

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 06:42:23 »
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!

I know that I only need cut -outs albeit I could have the panel line engraved a little on the superstructure.

I understand that the line has to be very fine and although I have a fine -tipped pen i have not grasped how to get on computer exactly that needed and that it will come out at the size drawn or scanned and adapted.   I appreciate the colour codes but getting it computorised ....well.... nothing in Photoshop.

Any tips?

Toby

marky

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 13:39:28 »
I first learnt using rhino but most of the drawing programmes should work we use different colours black for cutting and red for mastering (engraving) Richard who manages the lasers is brilliant and did some beautiful flooring for an architecture model so will try it on veneer for decking.