Author Topic: another photey  (Read 1262 times)

marky

another photey
« on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:27 »
Oops

Toby

• Site Supporter
Re: another photey
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 19:24:14 »
Interesting.
This is a photo of which tug?

Toby

marky

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:45:15 »
The hull and superstructure are from a plan I acquired of the St Canute ,I have improvised a little ,well quite a lot (I think this may be called modellers licence ) ,I gave it watertight looking doors to give it a more navel look I was originally going to give it a gun but changed my mind ,the port holes are washers with Perspex infill's the vents are made from 12mm dowel and half a Kinder egg (my grandsons idea) the winch is made from parts of an old sewing machine the hand rail on the wheel house is made from split pins with 1.6 mm welding wire soldered through the eye. I still have lots to do rails at the companion ladders etc. will post more and hopefully better photos soon ,next up is painting the hull

Cheers Marky 

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:26:16 »
Your grandson has vision......to visualise an improvisation to good effect.
Looking forward to seeing it completed. Great colour.

Toby

marky

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 14:36:37 »
So over the weekend the grandson and I had a go at painting the hull he's only 7 and we are happy with the joint result ,just a wee bit of tidying up to do the wee man wanted the white stripe Lt looks a bit fishing boatey to me but it will live with him when its finished and he's happy

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 16:20:57 »
Looking good!
I am not sure if you have a Scottish equivalent of, 'ship -shape and Bristol fashion, but you both are getting there and by the sound of it he is inspired.
Does Admiral grandad have the first go with it at the pond or will it be the second mate in charge of the sea trials?

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 16:22:31 »
Brush or spray?  Whose make of paint?

T

marky

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 03:00:38 »
hi Toby,

It was sprayed with a white filler primer that had been lying around from when my boys used to have to repair their cars ,I think that's where the idea for the white stripe came about ,then we went onto hand brushing the red is Craig and Rose  Forth Bridge red oxide  (satin) ,Craig and rose were the original manufacturers of the colour for the forth rail bridge ,the black is hammerite smooth, if we get time next weekend we hope to stain the wooden bit of the deck a nice oak colour, the top of the mast was supposed to be white but an executive decision (by his Grandma)changed it to Oak .Its a static model and I have the feeling she may just turn turtle (the ship not the wife),thanks for all the great comments .

Cheers Marky

marky

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 14:27:55 »
Almost there ,its all coming together

marky

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 14:30:20 »
And another one

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 14:43:57 »
Nice job and colour. You and the grandson must be pleased. Does Grandma like her white line .

Toby

marky

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 16:01:44 »
We've decided to name her after his grandma so its win, win going to try and get the letters laser cut tomorrow ,life boats to finish and mount  and anchor chains then we can break a bottle of irn brew (our other national drink) over her bow and it will be onto the next project.

Cheers

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 19:35:28 »
Haven't heard of Ir'n brew for years!

Let me know if you find someone to get your letters last cut.  A friend of mine builds "minute"  and needs some letters "Lassell" the name for his model.  At the scale his letters need to be capitals 2mm in height.

Toby

marky

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 00:08:52 »
Hi toby,
What thickness and material would the letters have to be in ?and I'll see what I can do .

cheers marky

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 02:07:12 »
Hello Marky

Thank you, I suppose as fine as possible like the old Letraset.

I cannot get through to him. He must be out.

Toby