Author Topic: 12 or 24 volts  (Read 174 times)

ayrtoncross

12 or 24 volts
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:54:43 »
Hi i am building an Ayton Cross tug boat i will use two 70mm korts with two 5 blade propellers 65mm, i have been thinking about 24 volt motors against 12 volt some say to complicated with the electrics as some things (lights sound winch ect) will only want 12v,this does not bother me at all as i can take a 12 volt feed from one of the two 12v batteries what are the gains and losses of the two voltages T.M

des

Re: 12 or 24 volts
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 14:16:33 »
Never EVER take a 12 volt feed from the middle of two 12 V batteries hooked up for a 24V system - it is very likely you will destroy both due to the unequal discharge and charge cycle.  But you could use a 24V - 12V converter, which will take power from both batteries equally.

I would suggest that a 12V system would be adequate for all but the very largest tug model - and most electronics are built for this voltage and the associated current demand.  You only need to use wiring that is big enough to handle the motor stall current, which will result in less voltage drop through the wiring during normal running.

Des.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: 12 or 24 volts
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 21:25:35 »
Excellent advice Des. . .12 volts is the standard for my building and securing parts.
24 volts is sort of like the difference between 120 volts AC and 240 volts AC. As soon
as you double the power you had best know a bit about what you are doing.
And is it worth the effort unless you are running a very big deal. . .

I also recommend 12 volts your your Ayton Cross tug. Let us know what you choose
motor wise and a bit about your build.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com