Author Topic: Woban Class Navy tugboat circa 1940  (Read 643 times)

David

Woban Class Navy tugboat circa 1940
« on: May 29, 2017, 04:57:17 »
Hello tugboat aficionados,

David here. New to the group. I am looking for a scale model of a Woban Class U.S. Navy tugboat like the one I was stationed aboard from 1969-1971. My tug was     YTM-149. Anybody have any ideas? I ordered one, but it is so small, it looks like it came from a box of Cracker Jacks. Thanks.

David

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: Woban Class Navy tugboat circa 1940
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 21:01:08 »
Hello David. . .sounds like a dream come true to build a model of a tug
that you served on. I took a look around the Internet and found a couple
of, like you said, pretty small models of Woban class Navy Tugs.

The best link I could find:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Woban+Class+model+tugboats&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb15b3rp7UAhUEjVQKHTFeCdkQ7AkIPQ&biw=1455&bih=807

. . .gives lots of ideas. Click on any of the hundred or so pictures that interest you
and sometimes they give a link to the model in the picture.

Let us know here on the Forum what you find. Many here like Woban Class Navy Tugs
and would like to know about a good model kit offered.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 19:16:18 »
Here is a drawing found on the Internet. With a quality model and a drawing you could build in the size you want.

Contact the manufacturer of the model. They must have had drawings to make the model

Toby

NickelBelter

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 06:08:13 »
RCGroups user 'mmalmsten' is building a Woban-class tug from CAD plans he drew up himself, perhaps sending him a nice PM on that site might convince him to share them with you. 

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2636991-1-32-Scale-Build-of-WWII-Woban-Class-Harbor-Tug

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 08:00:14 »
Nick

That was a super useful link you provided. I was most interested in what I found.

If only the Imara /Perseverance info was so clear and available.

Toby

NickelBelter

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 18:21:19 »
Out of 3 tugs I've built, none has complete documentation, and only one had hull lines, and that was a Navy boat originally.  Civillian ships simply aren't that well documented.  One reason is that every change done to a Navy boat has to be approved and written up and filed away, which creates a paper trail. 

The tug I'm currently working on has been modified so many times that the present OWNERS could not even tell me when the towing winch was installed, only that it wasn't original, wasn't the second one and was hydraulic-powered.  Their concern was simply 'does it work?'