Author Topic: Building Rumania from an empire Ivy hull  (Read 1785 times)

Haggis

Re: Building Rumania from an empire Ivy hull
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 11:33:41 »
I'm following your project with great interest.I'm currently building Matilda 111, which from your 'photos seems to be  based on same plan.I painted the hull plain black but on seeing your model I've changed my mind and will repaint in your colours.  Please tell me what material did you use for rubbing strakes?  We are very restricted here in South Africa in terms of modelling supply shops.I found your 'photos to be extremely usefull. I had to build plank on frame, it has been a long term build.However coming over to UK in August so maybe can pick up some items.
Doug.KLEINMOND.
SOUTH AFRICA

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 12:27:49 »
Hello Doug. The rubbing bans are from a ready made plastic extrusion,the main one around the hull is a quarter inch or 6mm and the two forward ones either side a an eight inch or 3mm it is available by post from Cornwall model boats but postage to SA is a bit iffy at times, if you are visiting friends or family in the U.K. You could order it and have it posted to them they normally post out the next day.
I have posted stuff to a fellow modeller in Durban and it seems to take weeks to get there.
And yes the Matinda 111 was the same class as Rumania there were only 5 of this class Modified Englishman built but they worked hard all over the world and Rumania was the only one painted light Lavender but she looked very striking my Dad was chief engineer of her for 3 years and I can remember going aboard for the day just after Watkins bought her, but I wouldn't go down into the engine room because it was dark,hot and smelly, then I ended spending 50 years as a marine engineer strange isn't it.
If I can be of any more help just ask.  This is how she ended up right in the mouth of her home port the Longsands bank in the Thames Estuary waiting for the tide to turn in order to get a ship off that had run aground,but she dragged her anchor and sat on it, she was only 12 years old at the time.
George.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:33:44 by model tugman »
Tugs are for life      George B

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 05:32:40 »
Hi Haggis I forgot to mention that it comes in two lengths ,3 feet and one foot,
I always get the 3 feet one.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 03:28:23 »
Well here she is nearly finished, lights working radar turning and all the electrics done, just got to fonish some rigging.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 03:30:38 »
A couple of pictures of the very small Rumania that I made a few years ago alongside the 42" one, and yes the small one had radio gear as well.

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 10:23:45 »
Nice one Bro,Trev will be well pleases with that.
Whats the next one on the slipway.
john b

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 11:30:54 »
Oh Bruv. I have too much choice he keeps coming up with these odd hulls,and saying what can you make of this? He He.👍👍👍😇😇😇😇😇😇

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 06:42:40 »
Here she is afloat at last, well pleased with her.