Author Topic: Sun Kent tug on eBay  (Read 543 times)

Kev30

Sun Kent tug on eBay
« on: June 18, 2017, 13:17:55 »
Just come across this tug for sale on eBay its a model of the Sun Kent formerly a tug based at Gravesend its 55" long so I'd imagine it's a model built to 1:24 and being this size be a lump to put in your motor? But these size models do look good on the water have a look at the link attached it might interest some members on here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radio-Controlled-Model-Tugboat-/322555447597?hash=item4b19cd892d:g:gacAAOSwgv5ZQmBH

Regards
Kevin

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
Re: Sun Kent tug on eBay
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 20:17:05 »
Good find Kevin. . .a beautiful tugboat. It's size, 55 inches, is about the largest
you want to go. As you said, ". . .be a lump to put in your motor?" My tug is
65 inches and it is a major concern for transportation and lugging about the shop.

Again, as you said, ". . .these size models do look good on the water. . ." and
I can pack a lot of gadgets and all.

The "Sun Kent" for sale for 200$ or is like seeing a brand new pick-up truck
for sale for 800$. I can't believe that it didn't go to a new birthing port. But then,
I have watched many world class models go for a song or not at all. To me,
it's sort of a mystery.

Thanks for sharing Kevin,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

Kev30

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:29:22 »
The reason the tug stuck out in my mind Michael I'm fairly sure that the hull was a fibre-glass hull made by the late Eric Allen a member of the Victoria Model Steamboat Club in London as he had one he used in straight running rather than radio controlled and a few other members also made some nicely detailed models of the tug.
The funny thing about the model Eric had is that he lived in Harlow in Essex and when he died about 15 years ago his family cleared his workshop out and about 5-8 years ago a member of my model boat club here in the south-west (Shepton Mallet Drifters) who lives outside Bristol bought the model that Eric ran for straight running from a guy who ran a antiques shop in Fowey in Cornwall. Which is about 250-280 miles from Harlow??? I really have no ideal how it ended up down there???
I might be completely wrong with this but Eric did make quite a few fibre-glass hulls that various modellers used.

Regards
Kevin

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 12:41:21 »
Thank you for the interesting information Kevin. As I read your account about a bit
of the history of Eric Allen's tug hull I agree. . .hmmm, how did the hull get 270 miles
from where it started. Tugboat models are amazing in how they get around to
places and all.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:16:21 »
My model of the Sun London also built on one of Eric Allens hulls which I got from E Bay, it came with a fibre glass deck which was not used,and the Sun Kent/Essex superstructure and wheelhouse, which was altered to make the London, she also has a home made 6" nozzle with a prop shop prop.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:18:16 by model tugman »
Tugs are for life      George B

Kev30

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 13:00:38 »
WOW I thought it was only the straight running community and a few others in the VMSBC that knew of Eric's Sun Kent hull I didn't realise that they were so popular and dotted all over the south-east. What I'm surprised is that Eric normally only made a hull once someone was interested in having one so he would make one rather than make a dozen then wait for them to sold. I wonder who made the master unless Eric made it?

Regards
Kevin