Author Topic: steam drifter / herring drifter  (Read 1165 times)

Toby

• Site Supporter
steam drifter / herring drifter
« on: August 03, 2017, 19:10:47 »
Is this type of vessel included in this forum?

The reason for my silence lately in regard to Perseverance is that I have been working on a model of Vliestroom of the Dutch Coastguard and also  a 1:24 P on F Herring /Steam Drifter. 

If such is not a part of this forum but there are members who have info   and/or models etc etc perhaps they would send a private message to me.

Thanks Toby.

des

Re: steam drifter / herring drifter
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 00:26:09 »
G'day Toby - for those two boats it may be appropriate to post in the Barges & Non-Tug Vessels area.  Keep posting, 'cos many of us are interested in most types of workboats, not just tugs.

Des

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 06:42:04 »
Thanks Des,

Will do as you suggest later.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 04:57:28 »
Working on the drifter. Sorted out some paint cracking problems and faults with planks.

Can anyone tell me whether these boats would have had red paint as in red or would it be effectively the red oxide colour I need to put on.

Will sort some pictures shortly.

Still want details for deck and superstructure. ....photos or photos of drawings would be a help of anyone can oblige.  My line drawing does not state details.

Also anyone know if and where the would be wash ports in the bulwarks.  Surely there would be some outlet for water somewhere?

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:11:12 »
Cutting out a rudder. It measures 66mm front to back.  Is this too big for it would equate to 6ft 6". I see in a photo of a full size rudder wreck that the rudder was made up from planks and on a model I have seen a photo showing view of the rudder  with 5 planks.

I have cut the shape from a piece of plastic/aluminum sandwich sheet which is 3.5mm thick. I was thinking then of adding lolipop sticks (2mm thick) to both sides for the effect.

How many and how wide and thick were the planks for the rudder generally for such boats and were they originally held together in some way in addition to the metal brackets from the rudder axle. Also although on models the rudder is painted 'red'  in keeping with the hull was this the case in reality?

The lollipop sticks are 10mm wide so that equates to 10" planks. Too small or to big?

Any thoughts,  anyone.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 09:20:57 »
Found these but. ......

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 04:26:09 »
Rudder so far

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 04:36:28 »
Not finished yet and it may not be clear to see, but, the boss comprises a brass tube inside of which are two further close-fitting tubes freely revolving and inside of the inner sits the stainless rudder axle. Hopefully once area is finished and painted all can be greased and the tubes /axle will not clog or lock- up.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:38:32 by Toby »

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 04:42:41 »
Now I have to make brackets to give the appearance of such holding the axle in position to the rudder post.  Similar to such seen in the photo uploaded earlier showing the wreck of a stream drifter rudder.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 16:48:11 »
Would someone out there adviser what they think the likely size for the bilge keel ought to be. It shows 4mm which equates to 4" on the full-size boat. Now I look at it it does look small.  4mm in depth and length about 25cm.

Would 10mm or 12mm look more realistic and be more useful or am I just wrong on this.

Toby
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:01:59 by Toby »

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 17:56:31 »
Couple of photos showing progress.

Deepened the bilge keel and added the second and partial rubbing band.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 18:06:48 »
Hopefully the photos will upload this time.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 18:08:40 by Toby »

des

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 02:40:35 »
Hi Toby

How is your Imara / Perseverance going?

Des

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 03:01:46 »
Hello Des

I have not worked on that for a few weeks.  The hull is close to being finished though.

Toby

What are you working on?

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 03:05:11 »
Is there a general accepted width of the white waterline on tugs and other boats such as drifters etc.