Author Topic: steam drifter / herring drifter  (Read 1547 times)

des

Re: steam drifter / herring drifter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 13:34:28 »
I've been on a travelling holiday for several months - it's too cold at home at this time of year, so we like to get away if we can.

Currently my build project, based on a Model Slipways' AZIZ kit, is about 6 - 8 months away from completion.  But while we've been travelling I've been working up plans for a 1970's tug.  That's been an interesting exercise in itself.

Des.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 13:58:41 »
Working up plans? Are you scaling from full size or creating new from photic etc.

T

des

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 20:30:42 »
Working up from scratch, although with ONE photograph that I was able to use to ensure I got the proportions roughly right.

I was looking for a relatively easy model to build which would include building my own hull - a first for me.  I saw an ad for plans for the YARRA tug from Model Boats magazine which I thought might be suitable, and bought a set.  Very disappointed - it wasn't nearly what I had in mind.  So, I started trying to modify the YARRA plan to fit what I had in mind - turned out to be impossible.  So I ended up working up a full set of plans, including hull lines, to get what I wanted.  The end result (plans only at this stage) I think looks good for a 1970's Australian tug.

Des.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 20:46:29 by des »

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 06:13:30 »
Des
That it a very interesting plan you have made. Thank you for sharing it.  How have you drawn it. It is so very neat and very tech drawing quality; are you a top notch draughtsman or CAD man. How big do you propose to make the vessel. 

T

des

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 13:49:26 »
Drawing is done using AutoCAD LT 2011.  LT is a "lite" version of the full package, but is adequate for the drafting I do, including when I was working before retirement.  It can't do 3D, but then again, neither can I.  I've only ever worked in 2D, which in itself made working up this design rather challenging, especially when working up chines and waterlines to ensure smooth curves, and to achieve the bow shape I wanted.

What I posted was one view from the final General Arrangement drawing - it took 5 separate attempts to get it right.  I got an arrangement in V3 which would have worked, but the bow shape wasn't what I wanted - too broad in the lower area.  It took two more attempts to get the bow right.

Drawing is done at 1:50 scale, and the model is intended to be at that scale - it will work out at 640 mm long, and 162 mm beam width;  total displacement approximately 5+ kg.  Full size equivalent is 105 ft overall length, 26.6 ft beam width, and 13.6 ft draft.  These dimensions were chosen to match dimensions from several tugs I worked on during construction, during my apprenticeship in the late '60's.

I haven't finally decided on hull build material, but I'm probably 80% decided on styrene.  I think I would get a better finish from styrene than from wood.

Des.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 14:29:29 »
Looks like one of the early hydroconic hulls.
I drew up  something similar for my 1/50 Rangi which was a 1974 Eken & Doherty design.
Your one has a more angled bow and more sheer.
I had my frames cut out of 3.6mm ply and skinned the hull with 1mm ply. With a thin coat of resin it is almost bullet-proof.
Similar size to your one but quite small for RC, not a huge amount of room inside at that size. Would also hardly see it 10m out from shore.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 18:18:58 »
When I have all my boats finished I may venture in to some plan creating /design.  Fascinating.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 18:20:30 »
Update of build.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 18:21:30 »
Another view.

des

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 19:31:33 »
Hi Sea Monkey

Yes, I did indeed increase both the bow angle and shear from where I started.  I had this photo of WANDILLA which is almost the same size as I wanted, so I used that the finalise the overall shape.