Author Topic: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki  (Read 5239 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sea monkey

  • Site Supporter
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 990
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2017, 13:14:16 »
Hi Des,
Usually I do the windows the same way as you describe. Sometimes through the roof or if the cabin is small enough, through the doors.
This time the cabin area is quite large and both doors are at the rear so that rules out the door method. Because of the curved bulkheads the roof is holding the whole thing together so that had to be glued in place at the beginning. Luckily for me the window frames and glass on this particular boat sit proud of the bulkhead. So when I had the brass photo etched I recessed the back of the window frames to hold the 'glass'. As these frame edges are quite (1.5mm) wide I have about 0.7mm recess all around to hold the 'glass'.
Sounds good in theory.

sea monkey

  • Site Supporter
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 990
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2018, 12:37:55 »
With any build there always seems to be an order that things need to be done in. Even more so when it comes to assembling everything at this stage of the project.

I decided to finish the bow equipment first as this area is quite small and will be inaccessible when the superstructure is in place. Step one was to make up an anchor windlass from bits and pieces from my spare parts box, and some chain stoppers from styrene. Once again, no reference but this one is based on a pretty generic 1960s windlass. Turned out OK. Took a bit longer than planned but looks the part.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:39:43 by sea monkey »

sea monkey

  • Site Supporter
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 990
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2018, 12:40:42 »
The deck hatch is styrene on a basswood base, I managed to find some very old teak strips deep in my spare wood stash which worked out well for the covers.

The dinghy is almost finished. The cradle is ready and painted, still need to add the tarp clips.

Everything looks better with a coat of paint.

sea monkey

  • Site Supporter
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 990
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2018, 22:36:13 »
The basic carcass of the superstructure is all finished and painted, and now I can start attaching all of the pieces from my boxes of bits.

I need to start with the items that will be difficult to get to when everything is in place. The order of assembly isn't always as straightforward as you'd think.

Firstly, the doors in the recessed entry ways can be glued in, then the main deck grab rail (the porthole hatches on the port side needed to align to this), then the companionways, then the funnel,then the fan room vents, etc, etc. As usual there are a few minor paint touch ups and hiccups to fix. Nothing too major this time round – touch wood! The rain awnings above all off the flush mounted doors are very delicate and I'll need to be very careful of them because they all seem to be in places where it's very convenient to hold onto when picking up the superstructure.

The funnel grab rail and logo needed to go on at this stage as they’ll be hard to get at when the boat deck railings go in. The rubdown decal on the funnel has to go on now as I won't be able to get in there later. These are very delicate so I'll have to be careful not to scratch them, get any tape or turps on them. I have a couple of spares but lining them up later on will be tricky. Added the vent pipes to the funnel for the same reason.

sea monkey

  • Site Supporter
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 990
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2018, 22:41:15 »
The funnel grab rail and logo needed to go on at this stage as they’ll be hard to get at when the boat deck railings go in. The rubdown decal on the funnel has to go on now as I won't be able to get in there later. These are very delicate so I'll have to be careful not to scratch them, get any tape or turps on them. I have a couple of spares but lining them up later on will be tricky. Added the vent pipes to the funnel for the same reason.

Next step was dependent on the rear bridge windows and doors being glazed before anything else could go ahead. This went easily enough but has ended in tears before, on more than one occasion. Once the windows were in then the railings and steps in that area could go in.

sea monkey

  • Site Supporter
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 990
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2018, 22:44:53 »
The bridge/wheelhouse interior was painted dark grey (no interior details on this one) and the flying bridge railings attached.

So far, so good but my box of bits isn't getting much smaller – I keep finding things that I've forgotten to make.

And the stripe on the funnel is straight – it just looks wonky because of the lens on my phone.

sea monkey

  • Site Supporter
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 990
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2018, 22:47:21 »
Getting the dreaded 'failed security clearance' window for some of the images.Totally random.
This is a real problem for the site and I fear that it may be discouraging some people from posting.