Author Topic: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki  (Read 2239 times)

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2017, 11:56:54 »
That stern looks alovely shape to me, I think you have the bow a bit fine down on the forefoot that’s all.
Once you get some bulwarks on her the shape will look different again Steve, don’t give up matey.  Geo
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:59:10 by model tugman »
Tugs are for life      George B

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2017, 12:03:28 »
You think you have problems , this is my latest one all 53” x 15” beam of her double diagonal planking 5” kort.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2017, 12:47:32 »
Thanks George.
That's a bit modern for you isn't it? What is it?

Kiwinz

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 15:23:41 »
How about piling on some bog/filler and doing a sculpting..nose job on her? Might not be the usual way you build but worth bringing it out to the shape you really want and saving what is yet another great little project. Like George says her aft end is very pleasing to the eye!

Hey if all turns to pot how about making lots of dust and running it over a belt sanding down to the water line..would make a great waterline diorama model too Steve!

With your excellent technology skills could you not redesign a new bow end section and cut it in to what you already have down aft?

Simon

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2017, 22:28:44 »
Hi Steve it’s just about in my time era 1972 built at Hong Kong Whampoa shipyard as Kau Lung, The Local firm J P Knight bought her home to the UK and named her Kendal.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2017, 17:29:59 »
George, I've taken your advice and started on the bulwarks. Hopefully when they are in place I won't be so fixated on the hull.
I'll make some adjustments to the bow and see how it looks.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2017, 17:32:33 »
The supports are slotted into pre-cut holes in the deck. This method is very fast and surprisingly strong.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2017, 17:33:59 »
The holes in the deck where the superstructure goes should make sense now.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2017, 23:17:15 »
I like the look of that hull Steve you are doing well.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 12:36:42 »
There comes a time in all of my builds when I manage to break off the rudder footing – and this is the time.

No matter how careful I am it usually gets knocked off at some stage. This particular model has a very long and thin footing/heel and has been asking for it from day one. I've had several close calls but finally managed to snap it off yesterday.

Luckily it's a relatively clean break. I won't fix it just yet, I'll try and finish the hull a bit more before trying to re-attach the pieces. Maybe I should stick to twin screws or tugs with skegs.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 13:17:58 »
Thanks George, a few sessions with 60 grit paper and a bit of filler and the bow is looking much more acceptable. I can probably live with it now.

Looks like you and I are the only ones building anything at the moment. If it wasn't for your prolific output the poor old forum would be pretty quiet.

Following George's advice I added the bulwarks and the re-worked bow doesn't look so bad. Not as nice as Ted Stanforth's 1968 model but it'll do. Back in those days the harbour boards were much easier to deal with and they probably gave him a set of plans. In the 90s I was making a model of the Kupe, a local harbour tug, and the harbour board gave me their original plans – and a ride around the harbour with my 5 year old son steering the Kupe. Don't get that sort of access these days.

So – the bulwarks have been attached: 1.5mm ply – Birch for the flat sections and the dreaded Hoop Pine for the curved bow and stern sections.

As with most of my previous builds I initially make a pattern by wrapping a sheet of paper around the bulwark supports and marking the top and bottom lines with a pencil. This paper pattern gets transferred to a cardboard version and this is checked for a good fit on the model. After a bit of adjustment the cardboard pattern is used to cut the final ply bulwarks. I only worry about the fit to the deck – Always leave excess at the top and sand that down to the level of the supports. It's easier than it sounds. Must remember to get some photos of the process next time and save on some typing.

Anyway,  After a lot of sanding down they turned out OK and I added the fender strip (basswood & styrene) and the hawser holes ( styrene tubing) and anchor wells (styrene).

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 13:19:39 »
Still plenty of work to do...

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 13:20:40 »
Some of the remedial work on the bow.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 23:14:31 »
Looking really nice now Steve, a little faith in yourself and a tin of filler works wonders mate 😄😄😄😇😇😇😇😇😇😇😇.
Really nice clean work we don’t seem to get much on the forum at all nowadays, another forum that I watch is supposed to be model boats but you get all sorts of crap on it from health to motor bikes , perhaps that’s what people want rather than true to the Forum name.

Geo.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 23:21:26 »
Thanks mate.
Although if this was a real boat I wouldn't go in it – shonky builder.
Still seem to be plenty of guests tuning in. Two looking at this at the moment. So there seems to be interest, maybe we've just struck a quiet period for building. Might kick off when the weather at your end packs up for the winter. Maybe some of the guest viewers would like to register and make some comments – I could do with a few tips.
Steve