Author Topic: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki  (Read 3361 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2017, 15:44:16 »
Make sure you post a pic of the bar on opening night, George – and hide any power tools!

The funnel came together pretty easily so I launched straight into the firefighting platform. At first glance it looks complex but it's just like eating an elephant – one bite at a time.

The first part was simple: assemble the platform from my laser cut components. Easy!

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2017, 15:45:59 »
The frame sides and ends fan out slightly. Skinning it with very thin styrene formed the curves. They turned out OK and the lip around the bottom wasn't as tricky as I had thought. The inner curves on this were done with 240 grit sand paper, very, very gently, so as not to tear or crease the thin plastic.

The PE grating drops in OK, with only a little filing around the curve. It fits more by good luck than good management.

Hopefully the railings slot in as easily. Fingers crossed.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2017, 15:47:32 »
So far, so good!

The next step was to make the main support pylon and the forward 'A' frame.

The pylon has slightly curved sides and flat from and rear ends. The base was made out of basswood, with a ply spacer on each side for the styrene skin to wrap around to form the curve. Simple enough but the end result is very subtle and not many would spot it. At least I'll know it's there.

The 'A' frame legs also have a similar slight curve on their lower sections and then flatten out about have way up. They are flat on the inner sides. The inner sides are shaped to fit around the platform skirt. These are also basswood covered in styrene.

It is a bit flimsy at the moment but hopefully the whole thing will be a bit more robust when it's all glued together.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2017, 00:03:03 »
Nice one matey 👍👍👍👍.
The workshop / bar will be tackled this weekend hopefully,but I feel boredom creeping around the corner already😜😜😜😜😜
Tugs are for life      George B

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2017, 12:08:53 »
You know what they say about you know who making work for idle hands – especially when alcohol is involved.
Better start planning your next project.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2017, 01:26:50 »
Oh I have started another already matey.I bough an Assurance class tug kit unstarted from E bay for half price,
So as Inalready have one built as per the kit , I looked for something different and found one that had been converted to Diesel power and ended up towing log barges in BC Canada.
She was called Hermes, Rivtow Viking and Canadian Viking

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2017, 11:37:49 »
What a beauty, right up your street as well. It will be a happy holiday season.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2017, 11:42:11 »
Got all of the major bits for the firefighting platform sorted out and assembled, with a base coat of paint.
As hoped, the thing is pretty solid now. Only a few blemishes to fill or sand and then some details to add.

The colour took a few trials. In the 1960s, when I was about 5 or 6 my dad had a windfall and was able to take us on our first family holiday. We took the overnight car ferry to the South Island and it was my first trip on a boat. I don't remember much about it other than a few memories prompted by a couple of photos of us onboard. In all of the photos the deck equipment is painted in a pale caramel colour. That is the colour that I tried to replicate. It's a real 1960's colour and very similar to the one used on the NHB version of the Parahaki.

This coat turned out to be a little on the yellow side. They all look different in the tin!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:52:23 by sea monkey »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2017, 12:15:59 »
Inbetween dithering around with paint colours I actually did something useful – I soldered up the platform railings.

The stanchions and grating are from the sheet of PE brass I had made. When I drew them up I left tabs on the base of the stanchions and holes for them spaced around the grating. The stanchions have recessed top for the top rail (0.5mm) and smaller holes for the other rails (0.25mm). It means a little pre-planning when drawing up the PE components but saves time and hassles in the long run.

This railing was a fairly simple shape so the makeshift soldering jig didn't need to be too complicated. The curved ends of the railing just happened to wrap around a Humbrol paint tin.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2017, 23:20:33 »
Added a few bits of detail to the platform: monitor piping, wiring conduit/ducting, ladder rungs, light trays, radar deck, etc.

The ladder rungs took a surprisingly lot of time to finish for something so simple, and the railing around the radar platform ifs the thinnest brass rod I could find. It was a nightmare soldering it. My soldering iron was way too powerful . I did manage to cook it during the process so I've replaced it with a smaller 25W version – more than adequate for this type of stuff.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 23:22:15 by sea monkey »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2017, 23:21:43 »
Cleaned up the railings and painted them. And made the mast. No lights, radar or monitors yet.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2017, 23:23:22 »
I'm happy with the colours – at last – and now only need to glue everything together.

The whole firefighting platform/mast came together more easily than I had imagined. You just get lucky sometimes.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2017, 02:35:09 »
It’s not lucky mate it’s a skill that you have,👍👍👍

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2017, 12:23:49 »
I've assembled all of the components for the mast and firefighting platform. It's pretty much completed, the mast isn't glued on at the correct angle yet. I'll leave that until the model is finished. Too easy to accidentally knock it off.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2017, 12:25:02 »
Colours are all good and everything fits together just right. It all looks OK.