Author Topic: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki  (Read 3377 times)

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug – Parahaki
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 02:57:51 »
Very tidy work Steve , nice job matey.👍👍👍
Tugs are for life      George B

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 11:36:27 »
Thanks George – sorry I never made it to Bluewater. Family commitments every weekend while we were in the UK. I know where I would rather have been. Back next year hopefully, so I'll make sure I get some free Sundays.
Are you familiar with Brooke's of Lowestoft? Did all their boats look like this one?

Des – The Lego is glued onto the board and holds the keel in place and dead straight. I can easily lift the keel out and back in if I need to. I use them because: they are dead square, and we have a ton of them in cupboards around the house. When I'm planking the hull I clamp it deck side down to board again (on spacers). Seems to work for me. Did I mention I'm paranoid about getting a twist in the hull?

Simon – Yeah, a weekend of rain, and sanding in a confined space – bliss!

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 12:41:58 »
Hi Steve Brooke’s built some nice tugs over the years,,but I think that this design was spot on, now thinking along the lines of a 1/24th one.
I like your new design how about a set of drawings for me?

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 17:55:24 »
Sure thing George, I'll see how the hull turns out and then adjust the drawings as needed, and send them over.

Russell Ward (Aucklander on this forum) is the 'go to' guy for any information about tugs in NZ. He has a lot of stuff on his website www.tugboats.co.nz and much more that isn't on the site yet. He's currently rebuilding the site and hopefully it will get bigger and bigger.

This is what he remembers of the Parahaki:

Ralph Trimmer was chairman of the Northland Harbour Board in the ‘60s. The NHB fleet was called Trimmer's Navy.
He was quite far sighted and things moved fast under him although there was a feeling that he was not quite straight. In those times there were great moves up there. The oil refinery, potential for the new glass works –lots of coastal stuff.
He got the two big Brooke tugs and several smaller line handling tugs as well as a fabulous, though a bit fugly, pilot boat Manaia built out of wood and nothing but the very best by Percy Vos in Auckland. Sad that her designer Alex Collings didn’t have any sort of eye and she sort of missed out on what she could have been. Look her up. She is usually on Trade Me for sale quite cheap –a lot of boat for the money. I watched her being build and was invited to her launch in c1964. With all the teak and fine timber, the shop smelled like my uncles cigar boxes. Just a fabulous ship
Word went round that she was built as a maritime board room for the lads and questions were raised.
The maritime salvage that they all envisaged, never happened on the coast and the tugs never paid their way.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 18:02:30 »
Made a bit of progress over the past few evenings. Attached the uppermost section of the hull. This is the only flat section on the hull. This is 2mm ply. It's Hoop Pine which is very flexible but also very poor quality (very coarse grain) but I'm on a budget with this build so I'm using any scraps and off-cuts at hand. Unfortunately I've still got about 1/4 of a sheet of the stuff left over.

Also made some good progress packing out the hull with balsa blocks to give the planking some backing and more surface area for the glue. These were sanded down to the approximate curves that the planking will follow. The complex curves in these areas are always the most difficult to plank.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 18:07:10 »
Hi to the 11 guests reading this at the moment.
Why not register and join in? New members are always welcome – and the first drink is on the house.
Steve

Back to the build – It all looks a bit rough at the moment but it will eventually all be hidden by the planking – and a lot of filler and primer.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 18:09:41 »
This all went together without any drama but managed to use about $30 worth of CA glue up to this stage. Planking will probably use as much again.

After a light sanding of the frames it was ready to lay the first plank. I'm using 2mm balsa strips. Started in this spot for no particular reason. I can glue, pin and clamp one plank on each side of the hull at the same time. It takes about 20 minutes curing time before it's safe to remove the clamps so the whole planking process will take about a week of evenings.

This model doesn't need to be water tight so my planking is a bit amateurish. Purists look away.
Hopefully the end will justify the means.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 13:43:37 »
Hi Steve. Can you give me a call on 021 346 306 today.
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 23:15:26 »
Well that wasn't too painful. Only took about 4 afternoons and evenings.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 23:17:45 »
As soon as the planking had gotten to halfway up the sides I gave the inside a good coating of resin, with a little matting, to strengthen the lower section of the hull.
When all of the planking was done I gave the exterior another coat to fill any gaps and to soak into the balsa and stiffen everything up.
It looks a bit rough at the moment but lets wait and see how it looks after a few sessions of fill/sand/seal.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 23:29:00 by sea monkey »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 08:18:37 »
That is a very nice shaped hull Steve ,nice job so far.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 08:29:30 »
An inspiration Steve. . .beautiful for sure.

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 11:21:14 »
Thanks George and Michael,

The hull shape hasn't turned out as well as I imagined. I had based it on the 'Cruiser' hull lines and it is much fuller/blunter in the bow area than the museum model. The museum boat also has a very nice 'pot belly'. I hadn't realised how much of a flatter curve my hull had until I got some white paint on it. Unfortunately that's all I can see at the moment and I'm too far down the track to start again. Hopefully in a couple of months I will have forgotten all about it but at the moment I'm losing interest in it. I had a similar problem a few years ago when I built a couple of ATBs and the first hull had gotten to final paint stage before being binned.

I can adjust the drawings to compensate but I'm not sure if I can psyche myself up to start from scratch again.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 11:23:03 »
This is after the third set of fill, sand and seal.

Each new coat of undercoat only shows up more flaws that need too be fixed and it I don't seem to be be making much progress. I know what you're thinking: don't put any more coats on.

I'm down to the 240 grit sand paper now so I guess that is a good sign. Hopefully the in next few days I get to the wet & dry.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 11:24:31 »
A couple more of the godforsaken thing.