Author Topic: 1960s Refinery Tug Parahaki  (Read 20906 times)

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
Re: 1960s Refinery Tug Parahaki
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2018, 02:42:06 »
Steve.

I see a bit of Kupe, Toia and Daldy etc in that Waitangi. Some years later.

Hayden
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2018, 11:53:01 »
Hey Hayden, how was the break? Looks like you've had a few scorchers recently.

Yeah, you can see how the Waitangi design morphed into the Kupe. Maybe Marine Steel in Whangarei got Brookes to design the Kupe for them. Going to Voith drives was a step forward too.

You're dead right George none of them are oil paintings. The Kupe class which followed on from them was quite popular around NZ for the next 10-15 years. I think that they had pretty nice lines. I might be a bit biased as Kupe and sisters Toia, and Ngahoe were my town's tugs for many years. I grew up seeing them every day. I've probably mentioned this before but while getting reference for a model of the Kupe, the harbour board gave me a ride around the harbour in it and let my 5 year old son steer it around, so I have good memories of the old Kupe.

It's still working 50 years later, now in New Plymouth. The photo with all the flags is her last day in Wellington.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2018, 15:12:04 »
Hi Steve.

Good Xmas break. At Nelson for Model Engineers Convention. Even took a model boat myself and glad I did as the pond was spectacular having been cleaned a week before the event.

Great summer here and very warm so maybe mid 30's and could be into 40's next week they say.

Great tugs those Wellington red boats. Guess every country has its iconic tugs, Dutch with Smit Rotterdam, USA with classic Morans and I suppose the SUN XXI.

Those Wellington Voith tugs were pretty heroic in there own right owing to weather and there long history around Wellington.

I never knew about those other NHB tugs. Ever thought about compling a "Tugs of New Zealand Book"??Our old pilot Boat the "OHAU" is headed to Northland and the Hokianga Harbour I am told. Looks like a tug and barge Company near Helensville is the operator. Had a few hitches heading north with fuel filters and bad water as she has ben in Pauanui for the last three weeks.

Happy building Steve. Time for another swim in the pool to cool off:-)

HB
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2018, 12:39:20 »
I think Russell has pretty much done that 'book'. He has relaunched his tugboats.co.nz site and is updating it as he goes. He's a mine of information and hopefully he'll transfer it all onto the site.

Yes, you can see the Kupe lines in a lot of tugs from the '60s: Whangarei, Auckland, New Plymouth, Wellington, Bluff and even Aorangi. Now they are all either Damen 2411 or Robert Allen. Whangarei is still making pretty good tugs, PT May and PT Mary but it seems ports just want them off the shelf these days.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2018, 12:40:39 »
Yeah, I'll bet Ohau had a 'mechanical issue'. Three weeks in Papanui at this time of year!! It's the best place in the world to break down. Normally it's so packed with holiday makers you wouldn't be able to get a berth or anchorage. Wonder how long they can stretch out the 'repairs'.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2018, 01:35:47 »
Pitty when they built the P.T Mary they forgot to tick the box to include the stand!! . Isn't that the golden rule of models, build the stand first.:-)  Ha ha!!
VANYA

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2018, 01:37:01 »
I better talk to Russell and see what new stuff he has.

HB
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2018, 20:32:53 »
Been very hot here lately so not too much progress unless you count swimming and sitting in the shade.

I did get started on the fire fighting gear: 2 hydrants and 3 monitors.

The hydrants were pretty simple all styrene tubing with some etched brass handles. There are positioned ,port and starboard, under a canvas awning so you can't really see them in too much detail. Not really sure why the awnings are there, maybe to protect the hydrants? Don't know.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2018, 20:36:39 »
The awnings came out OK. The clips are done in the same way as the ship's boat tarpaulin clips.

As you can see the boat and crane are also finished.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2018, 20:38:28 »
Quite happy with the way the boat/crane turned out.

I've made it as it appears in my reference photos but it does raise a question: how do they lift the boat back out of the water? There are no hooks or lifting points on the boat and it would be very tricky trying to position ropes under it while it was in the water.

I'm betting that there are a couple of hooks under the tarp.

Not too much left to do now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 20:52:18 by sea monkey »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2018, 20:40:20 »
... a few more

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2018, 20:46:57 »
and the fire monitors:

Usually when I have to make several of the same item they are placed on opposite side of the model so you can't see any variations or errors. These are right next to each other so I had to get them all as identical as possible. Having them at slight angles helps.

And, yes, they are all lined up and at 90 to the platform. My phone makes them look a little out of alignment.

Only the nav lights left to do now. Yahoo!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:35:16 by sea monkey »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2018, 00:21:40 »
What can I say , blooming brilliant job Steve.a lovely Model, now make her bigger and with some power.
Tugs are for life      George B

Kev30

« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2018, 07:22:42 »
I agree with George Steve a really nice job you've made there, I'll be looking out for your next project.

Regards
Kevin

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2018, 11:05:12 »
Thanks Kevin, got everything ready for the next one but I need to finish of the little Hikurangi in the meantime. it's 95% finished but has been languishing in a cupboard for 12 months.

Thanks George, I'll send you the plans and you can knock out a bigger, working one probably only take you a few weeks.