Author Topic: Lady T  (Read 444 times)

AlanP

• Boats, allotments and chickens
Lady T
« on: October 26, 2017, 06:56:53 »
I could do with a bit of help/advice. I am building the Lady T, I haven't put the build on the forum as Footski has already done this boat.
I am trying to make the open bridge look as good as possible and have made a ships binnacle out of brass and hardwood.
The ships telegraphs need a face plate the same as Footski has made, I have found images on line but don't know how to get them reduced to 19mm diameter, I don't have any fancy programs on my computer, so was wondering if there is any free programs on line.
Another problem is there are two telegraphs so I suppose the face plates would have to be handed.
My computer skills are very limited.
Any help would be much appreciated. 

Alan   

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Lady T
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 07:24:07 »
Very nice binnacle you have made there, I use Microsoft publisher, but I donít know of any other free programmes that you could use sorry.
A few pictures of your build would be good Footski made his a good few years ago now.
Tugs are for life      George B

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 07:30:25 »
At the scale that you need try drawing a crick
Let the size you need and with a fine pen draw this on it anybody getting close enough to see it will be too close to your tug anyway.
And just reverse it for the handed one.  Geo.
Tugs are for life      George B

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 10:31:04 »
If you send the images to me by persons message, I can reproduce them to the size you need. Should only take a few minutes.
Steve

AlanP

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 13:54:23 »
Thanks Steve, I have tried sending a pm but cant find a way of inserting an image, but the photo on the posy above yours would be ideal if you could use that.
The diameter is 19mm left and right handed, asking a bit much I know.
Many thanks Alan

deep diver

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 00:03:11 »
Hi Alan P
The Lady "T" is a very nice model, I have been working on and off on mine for the last six month's.

How did you get on with fixing the deck beams around the stern? in the end I laminated some ply to make mine.

What size prop are you using as I am just starting to fit the running gear in to mine, I was only going to fit the running gear when I had the prop's but as the Prop-Shop is still down due to the fire ( I will now have to talk to Simon Higgins), I will have to make some templates the size of the prop out off ply so that I can line up the shafts. I did get the "A" frames - shaft's and motors from MMM.   

Please keep us updated and ant photo's

All the best

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

AlanP

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 11:00:57 »
Hi Fred, I used two strips of Lime (ikea blinds) around the hull, one on top of the other, this seemed to work out quite well. The sides of the hull where filled with  P38 and then sanded before the lime strips where glued in place.

More on the fitting of the prop shafts to follow

Alan

AlanP

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 11:31:11 »
Hi Fred, the props I am going to use are 50mm 4 blade, if I remember rightly from prop shop.
The fitting of the prop shafts gave me a lot of headaches, the motors have to be practically sat on the bottom of the hull, otherwise the prop shafts come out of the hull at a ridicules angle, motor mounts made out of hard wood using a hole saw and then cutting in half (photo) they where then sanded to suit the bottom of the hull (which had varying degrees of thickness on mine).
The markings for the P frames on my hull where way out if you wanted to get the prop shafts coming out of the hull a few degrees off parallel and not at some ridicules angle.
The marking in the bottom of the hull was not too far off but the inboard ones needed to be moved upwards quite a bit
I had several attempts at setting these up, so don't fasten in place till you are sure they are right.
I hope all this makes sense and is helpful.

Alan     

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 13:23:59 »
I've redrawn it to 19mm. If you'd like any changes let me know.
It's a PDF rather than a jpeg as a laser printer will have problems trying to handle the type at this size.
For the best possible result you could get it printed as a film bromide. These are on clear film and give absolutely perfect reproduction with no pixelation, blurring or filling in. A bromide would give you a glossy, glass like finish and you could paint the reverse side white. Should only cost about 5 quid at this size. Any reprographic printer or screen printer could do it.
Steve
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 13:29:14 by sea monkey »

AlanP

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 14:10:50 »
Thanks for doing that for me Steve, I have downloaded them and will have a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks again

Alan

deep diver

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 07:10:56 »
Hi Alan P

Thank you for your reply, I also used P38 for the bulwark's, I did this before I fixed in the deck supports, I was thinking of using some brass to cover up the "A" frame marking's on the hull as like your self I found that the "A" frames did not mach up, I did put this down to the fact that my hull was the first one out of the mold, 

As for the lining up of the shaft's what size gape have you set around your prop's? I was going to make a template the size of the prop's to go onto the shaft's and one to go on the inside of the hull to keep the shaft's parallel.

Looking at your photo of the rudder post it look's as if you have used just a flat piece of ply to fix the post into the hull do this so the the deck would fit above the rudder post?

I do like the way you made your motor mounts.

Keep up the good work All the best

Fred
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:20:32 by deep diver »
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

AlanP

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 03:46:55 »
Hi Fred, there is plenty of room for the props so you don't really need to make a template for them.
Yes there is very little room for the rudder post below the deck so you have to keep the post as low as possible.
A couple of photos that my help you.
From the hull to the centre of the prop tube is 53mm give or take a thou.
Alan

deep diver

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 06:21:44 »
Hi Alan

Thank you for the photo's.

Could I ask are you in the U.k and were about you are?? I am on the south coast near Brighton  P/M me if you do not want to make it known to every one.

All the best

Fred

AlanP

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 13:18:47 »
No problem Fred, I have updated my profile for all to see.

If I can help anymore just ask.

Alan

deep diver

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 14:22:04 »
Hi Alan
Thank you for you offer, I love forward to your updates.

All the best

Fred