Author Topic: HMS BULLDOG  (Read 459 times)

Toby

• Site Supporter
HMS BULLDOG
« on: November 02, 2017, 02:36:40 »
I wonder if any member has built a model of this vessel. Whilst I am waiting for other information and timber for the Drifter I have begun work on my HMS Bulldog, a hydrographic survey ship.

It is a hull and plan job,  the plan being by David Metcalfe. I have located a few picture/photos but as usual none found as yet showing deck and details.

Would like to hear from members who have built this and how they made and/or where from they acquired certain for this ship model.

Interesting that the plan shows one side only and comments not that the number and position of portholes differs each side.  I noticed that from a couple of photos online.

Perseverance is still on the bench. ....not forgotten.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
Re: HMS BULLDOG
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 02:43:35 »
She has had a basic coat of paint. The interior has had a couple of coats of black paint so that if I want to install lights such will not shine through the white plastic hull.
The hull had been strengthened with  lollipop sticks (wooden) resin and fibreglass cloth in the keel and so far. On to that had been placed 13lbs of lead shot.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 03:41:23 »
Anchor housings in and fibreglassed as are the rudder blocks and shafts and prop tubes and shafts. Uj couplings arrived this morning and do motors and couplings attached. Now to align motors and fasten in situ.
Each 6v-15v motor (Dean's Marine Falcon type) is rated at 6v 6000rpm and 2.2A. The props are about 1" with high pitch. Will be interesting to know whether I will be best operating at 6v or 12v. The props seem quite small for such a large boat.  They look a similar size as those used for Vliestroom buoy vessel.

deep diver

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 23:55:56 »
I have the small Deans one, not in a good condition, I did find some photo's of her that may be of some help.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 02:19:21 »
Fred,

Thank you very much for taking the time to find and to upload those pictures. They will be very helpful.

Toby

Only after acquiring this hull and plan did I learn of the DM model. But then I saw that it was not a very big model.  Does it sail well?  Are you restoring your model?

deep diver

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 10:35:53 »
Hi Tobby

Glad that the photo's are of some help.
I am hoping to restore her some time next year, I paid 50.00 for her I just wish that I had not paid up front, it looks as if the first builder took an axe to cut out all the parts then used cascamight glue to fix and fill in any gaps.(see photo's)as for sailing I do think that she would be a bit tender on the water.

One of our members sold his Balldog for just under the 1000.00 last year

Do keep us all up-dated with your build

All the Best

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 11:21:55 »
And that is a DM kit? I know that they have their faults but yes I see that a little tlc is required. There seems to be marks on the funnel which i thought would be a pre-formed moulded piece.

Your friend in East Sussex must have made a fine model to gain that price.

Toby.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 14:27:10 »
Rudders made.
I drilled four holes about the brass plane and then epoxied wood one side and then filled the holes with epoxy and then epoxied wood to the other side. Then I super glued another piece of wood with the timber  grain at 90 degrees to first layer and then sanded the wood to shape.
Then epoxy coat applied and left over night.  Then a light sand and a light dose of white primer and then when dry ribbed with 600 wet w/d  paper. Soon see the imperfections where the prime remains.

Now to brush or spray some primer and some red before applying final red colour.
Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 14:29:59 »
Not sure why the plan shows a section which cannot be actually seen or measured.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 14:32:12 »
After sanding epoxy and primer coats. Should be about right and not to thick.  Thickness of rudder can compromise thrust of prop?

deep diver

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 05:19:44 »
Hi Toby

That is looking good,

Keep up the good work

Fred

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 08:36:59 »
First coat of Humbrol 100 matt. A colour,  not necessarily the final red.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 20:47:46 »
Beautiful Fred. . .as Toby said, ". . .your pictures will be very helpful."

Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

deep diver

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 23:47:52 »
A few more

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 03:47:15 »
Thank you for the further photos! Very nice details!  With this ship I note that it is not to be the same both sides. I note for example the portholes are in different places comparing one side to the other. Perhaps it is the same above deck too.

Toby