Author Topic: Ozzie boat builder  (Read 968 times)

doonie

Ozzie boat builder
« on: November 17, 2017, 15:44:38 »
G'day, Doonie here. I'm an Aussie who builds boats, not necessarily Australian boats although I did build a South Australian Paddle Steamer. I have a little dilemma, created by me. I applied to join this forum some time ago because I wish to build my first Tug Boat and wanted to do it here to get information and advice. Nothing happened for quite some time and this is not a blame thing, just nothing happened for a while so I got impatient and went to another forum. I started a build log there and whilst I got some replies, not many of them actually contained answers to the questions I posed. Long story short, I got my acceptance email today and now would like to build my Tug Boat here. I like to be as up front and open as I can so there can be little or no misunderstanding as the world goes by. I'm building a boat off the free Klimek plans with a little assistance from a lot of software and a laser cutter. It will be about 50 inches long and 12 inches wide, ish. If that was to be OK, where should I start the log?
Just for information, attached are some pics of a few of my UFOs

doonie

Re: Ozzie boat builder
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 15:50:38 »
and...

Oh, and a link to a liddle movie of the Paddle Steamer's first outing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IJVix76r4E

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 16:12:19 »
Hi Doonie,
Welcome aboard. There are several Klimek builds on the forum none as big as your project though.
A good place to start your build log would be the ' Classic diesel tugs' section.
Look forward to your progress reports.
Steve

doonie

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 16:17:21 »
Excellent, thanks. I'll make a start.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 15:29:01 »
For sure Doonie, you well receive the best tugboat building suggestions here. From your float plane
to your buggy chassis and on on to your fine steam boat paddle wheeler, I can see that you will
create and have much pleasure with your big tugboat.

Personally I like a bigger tug. In building mine, making it top heavy was my biggest error; so be
ware as you design your super structure.

A pleasure to have your sharings here and Welcome Aboard Doonie,
Michael
Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

doonie

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 15:57:58 »
Thank you Michael. You may have already noticed that I have started the build in the Diesels thread.
Cheers.