Author Topic: Damn!. Not another Klimek.  (Read 605 times)

doonie

Damn!. Not another Klimek.
« on: November 18, 2017, 16:25:50 »
I think I'll call it the "Lady Marilyn". That'll get me brownie points at home and it won't be the Klimek so I'll be able to build in a front movy thing, the correct name of which has temporarily escaped my tiny old mind, and a Kort nozzle on the back. I'm building a Tug because I want a boat with a front movy thing and a Kort. Every body gotta have a reason ay?

The Lady Marilyn is going to be electric powered and RC, of course.  So Iíll need an idea of how many revs a motor should do, what size and type of motor and what size prop. Iíd like to have built most of that in before starting on the planking. Iíd like to put a bow thruster in (I've remembered what it is) because I havenít built a ship with a bow thruster in it yet. Iíll need some advice and info there too please.
Iíve got a laser cutter, a heap of free 4 mm ply and a pile of software so Iím managing to get some nc code to cut stuff out. The platform for the laser cutter is only A3 so bits are going to have to be joined together. I made the size of it to whatever I can get onto an A3 sheet. 

doonie

Re: Damn!. Not another Klimek.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 16:30:01 »
The keel has worked out to 1245 mm long tip to tail and the boat about 320 mm wide, ish. Dunno what that would be as a scale, hoping somebody can tell me.
Iíve made a start then it got hot so Iíve stayed out of the shed for a while.

doonie

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 16:32:33 »
Got a liddle more done but it is getting hot again so I've had to stop. I've turned it upside down to get all the frames in the right plane with regard to the keel. I'm thinking some super glue to tack them in place then turn it right way up so that I can get the keel dead straight. I was also thinking of laser cutting a pile of dead square 45 degree gussets to super glue in near the keel to get all the frames square. Then I suppose I'll have to machine up some goes around the edges material (whatever they may be called) and slowly and carefully pull it all straight. Any suggestions would be welcome.

doonie

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 16:33:46 »
I have discovered some stuff.  Converting the plans to nc code has an effect. For example, the total width of the three main frames were different. Not by much but by a bit so I had to use the size conversion doodad to bring them all to the same size. OK, mental note, check everything. Also, when the laser cuts them out, they don't come out to the size you input them at. For example, those three main frames which should all be the same started life as 312 mm wide but at the completion of cutting were 308 mm wide. Doesn't matter of course because every single laser cut piece will be coming out with the same percentage loss. You have to allow for the thickness of the cut which I guess is shared by both the piece being cut out and the bit left over. Pretty minimal but it is there.
Also, the bits designed by whoever aren't necessarily correct. I had to re cut a couple of frames after making adjustments in the cad program. Once again, not a biggy but one needs to be on one's toes. I have cut a heap of right angle gussets to go in beside the frame and the keel just to square the frames up. Probably not necessary for strength but helps to keep things in place when gluing up the next step.
The frames are all in now and it's time to make the stuff that goes in the slots around the edges. Anybody have a name for that, apart from small sticks?

doonie

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 16:36:11 »
We continue, slowly. Just coming into summer here so the days get hot quick and bloody hot in my tin shed. I'm ready to start planking. I've set the hull up on this liddle addition to the set out board. As you can see, it allows me to get at everything easily and right there in front of me. This'll be the third hull I've planked like this and it goes well, usually. I think I've figured out why I have so many UFOs, I like making hulls. The first pic is my temporarily stopped 40 foot gentleman's Racer. I planked it like the MTBs of old, at forty five degrees, just for the helluvit.
The next two are the hull frame in position 1

doonie

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 16:39:34 »
And this is where I am today. I've got a few cedar ship lap planks somebody gave me. Been saving them for years cos I always knew there'd be a job for them eventually. Now it'll be dust mask, ear plugs and dust sucker upper.
Welp, I got about thirty planks cut plus a few odd ones before it got hot. I reckon I'll cut fifty and if there's any left over, so be it. Does anybody have a plan of a jig to cut little planks on an angle. I reckon I'll need a few smaller (not as wide) planks cut on an angle each side to go around the bend in the hull. Tomorrow morning I'll finish cutting and start sanding. Then it'll be plinketty plank time.
By the way, I measured the spot for a prop and reckon I could get a four inch Kort in there. Any suggestions re how many revs for a prop like that. I think I saw one with a pitch of about 5.1 inches. Also what size motor to drive that and what gearing would be best?

doonie

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 16:43:11 »
Ahh. Revision reveals all. Here is the Gentleman's Racer pic I mentioned some time ago.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 23:43:43 »
Welcome Donnie, you donít hang about do you?  Looking good well done.
Geo.
Tugs are for life      George B

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 11:49:25 »
This is a useful little app that my son created a few years ago. It is a scale converter.
It will help find a scale for the length of your hull.

doonie

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 14:09:42 »
Thank you. That is awesome. I'll have a fiddle with that soon, it's only just 9 am and almost too hot to stay in the shed. I've cut up 50 planks and a few for odds and sods which I'll sand tomorrow if I get up early enough before the heat comes. I've also made a start on a prototype edge angle trimmer thingy for the band saw which I'll put together later.

doonie

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 14:13:22 »
The cat doesn't mind the heat, in fact she positively loves it.
Here's a motor I found in my tin of motors. 't's the biggest one in the tin. Probably an 18 volter out of a power tool. 12 volts will slow it down plus I'm working on a pulley reduction system.

2tugboats

• Roughly 3/4 inch scale semi accurate
    • Two Tugboats
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 16:12:35 »
Well Doonie, you have captured the attention of many here with your "tugboat building tools" and expertise with critical modeling. I only have trouble with your description of your shop being
too hot. . .there is a wind storm here, cold temps, and the wind blows the big rain drops inside
your ears it you are out in it.

For your motor choice, I haven't heard of judging an electric motor's abilities based on RPM's here
on the Forum. For myself, I go by the 450 to 900 standard. That is, and I hope the real motor
members will not laugh at me here, 450 horse power to 900 horse power. . .for a big tug I always
choose, with the exception of the "bow thrusters", a 900.

I recommend your design and place your motor mounts, battery boxes, and steering gear provisions
into your keel and framing before you place the hull with the beautiful cedar you are using.

Excellent work Doonie,
Michael

Yet another case of why men and women go down to the sea in ships. . .A pleasure to be here and smell the salt air. Thank you Tugboat Forum. . .Michael in Anacortes, Washington www.twotugboats.com

doonie

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 16:57:14 »
Thanks Michael. I've figured the ship to be about 16.66 metres long so that makes my model about 1:13.3. I'll use the motor I have and see what happens. I'm designing the plate that holds the motor and pulley reduction system so that it is adjustable for tension and also can have parts replaced easily. The body part of the motor is 63 mm long by 42 ish mm in diameter. Pretty sure it's out of a Hitachi 18 v drill that blew up a gear box. Can anybody suggest a bow thruster for this thing. I'd like to place it before planking begins.

des

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 18:46:46 »
Hi Doonie

You've had me intrigued now for a few days.  Whereabouts are you located in Oz - I'm in Adelaide, and we've had a few warm days now, and it's not even summer yet.  I'm at the stage where I'm getting more work done in the evenings than during the day - there's nothing worthwhile on the box anyway.

Your estimate of 16.7 m is close - the plans indicate 16.22 m, or about 53 feet overall.  For a model of 1245 mm overall length I think you're going to need a prop of around 95 - 100 mm diameter;  a suitable kort nozzle would have an internal diameter 3 mm greater than your prop, and would have a wall thickness of 5 - 8 mm.  Do you have enough space for a nozzle this size?

For a bow thruster I'd suggest a Graupner 35 mm unit - this has a prop diameter of 35 mm, with 2x 4 bladed props in the tunnel.  The motor is only 7.6 Volts, but your ESC should be able to knock your battery voltage down to 7.6 V.  (I've used this thruster on a model 1105 mm OAL, and had to knock the voltage down to 5V, so it should be okay on your bigger model.)

Des.

doonie

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 19:13:17 »
Excellent work Des. South East Gippsland. Anything over 30 is too hot to work in the shed and it gets to thirty early. I use this time to run backwards to the laser testing things for the motor/pulley mount I'm designing. It'll be a double reduction with adjustments here and there. I can fit a 100 mm Kort in just noice. I had no idea what size thruster to use but now I do so I'll get on to the netty thing and find one. I reckon I'll need a power board, might make one cos I haven't done that before. Can't be that hard can it? I'll want a smoker and a sound module. I already have the sound module. I set it up so that I can shift it around from boat to boat. Probably put a few lights and maybe a winch. Found this on the web 1/10 scale, so close, and it works. Should be able to hook it up to RC somehow.
Cheers

Doonie.