Author Topic: Damn!. Not another Klimek.  (Read 604 times)

doonie

Re: Damn!. Not another Klimek.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 19:33:14 »
Nuther hot day but I have managed to back and forth to the shed over the last cubbla days lasering away on the reduction drive. Most of the bits are cut and the missus has gone to get some bolts and some bearings. Pricey little suckers, them bearings. 16 mm od by 5 mm id by 5 mm thick at 15$ au each for seven. Probably cheaper to buy a geared motor but they are sooo noisy. I found a 240 ac to 12 volt dc transformer tucked away in a corner and the missus is picking up a 10 to 1.5 reducer for me right now so that will be another liddle project so I can test stuff without stuffing around with batteries and bits of wire. Also when I cark it, somebody will get some really good stuff. Make sure, when you cark it, you have one of your mates  make sure your missus doesn't sell your stuff for what you told her you paid for it.
I'll post some pics when I get the jig saw puzzle all lined up.

doonie

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 17:01:30 »
I got a bit more done before it got too hot.
Pic 1. The drive system jigsaw.
Pic 2. Gluing up the nut towers.
Pic 3. Top and bottom plates looking at the underside of them with most of the nut towers in place. the one on the left is glued into the hull and the other locates on it and is bolted to it so that I can remove it for repair or alteration.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 17:18:27 by doonie »

doonie

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 17:25:38 »
Pic 4. Upside down, showing how the top late locates in the bottom plate.
Pic 5. Motor mount under construction.
Pic 6. Main drive to prop towers under construction

doonie

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 17:26:55 »
pic 7. Bearing towers.
I'll be back.

doonie

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 19:47:19 »
Bits in for fitting and testing purposes. Must say I was pleased when the prop shaft slid perfectly through the two bearings in the final drive unit. A tiny bit of fitting in the prop shaft space in the hull with a file then a ton of araldite will see the whole thing snugged away. And I had just enough prop shaft left over for the final drive to the Kort. Now to try and figure out how many revs that motor does on 12 volts. The prop I'm saving up for is a RH five blade bronze jobbie with the Kort that applies. Pitch is 5.1 whatever that means? Any body want to assist with the sizes of the pulleys and can I use O rings as the belt"As you can see, I have adjustment built in to each of the pulley thingies.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 00:21:14 »
Proper job Donnie nice.  Geo.
Tugs are for life      George B

doonie

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 00:58:57 »
Ta mate. Keeps my old brain alive. ;D

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 11:37:05 »
Good use of the laser.
Is it straightforward to use? Not the drawing part just the actual laser cutting.
What thickness can it cut, and what is the bed size?
I'm tempted to splash out.

vk2dj

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 12:47:29 »
G'day Donnie with regards controlling your motor speed have a look at the range of Sabertooth controllers they are used robotics I have used  the 32a per channel model they
can be controlled directly from your R/C a couple of other chaps in our club have also used them their small & don't generate heat the work at a higher frequency than most other controllers &I therefore you don't get the motor whine you normally get with other controllers I will dig out the info & PM you the details also I have researching Laser cutters have a couple questions
Gary

doonie

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 13:18:25 »
Good use of the laser.
Is it straightforward to use? Not the drawing part just the actual laser cutting.
What thickness can it cut, and what is the bed size?
I'm tempted to splash out.
Once you get into a routine, it is straight forward but they do have glitches from time to time and you will need to overcome them. Once again you will get into a glitch routine and all is well. For example, I have found that there are less glitches if I tell it to cut fewer parts at a time, rather than everything on the board. Mine cuts 4 mm lite ply with five passes. That means I could cut 3 mm ply with 3 or 4 passes. I get 4 mm ply for free so I mostly use that. It won'
 t cut through ply that has black glue in it. Dunno why. It cuts MDF nice. It does cut other stuff but mostly organic, leather paper cardboard etc. You can think outside the square to achieve your ends. For example, I wanted an 8 mm keel so I cut two and glued them together. Mine cuts up to A3. The board being cut needs to be flat so I have lead weights I move all over the place to keep the centre down. I have a 10 mm aluminium base plate I made with threaded holes around the outside and big flat washers to hold the edges down. I used to use double sided sticky tape. I also used to have a piece of white melamine chip board as the base. Just buy a piece of 400 mm shelving, cut a few bits to length and use both sides. The base gets pretty chewed up with all the cutting. As it is, the aluminium gets a sticky residue on it and I need to clean it every couple of weeks. Happy to help anybody if they want to go down that path.

doonie

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 13:21:04 »
G'day Gary. Thanks for the reply. I await the PM. I think I used a Sabretooth controller in the Paddle steamer so that I could get bulldozer steering with the paddles.

doonie

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 17:52:32 »
I think this angle trimmer for planks will work, but with a much finer blade.

doonie

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 20:11:45 »
Planks done. 50 ought to be enough methinks.

doonie

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 18:04:27 »
Got some planking done but have been waiting for bow thruster before going too far. Bow thruster (Raboesch 108-20 7.2 v ) has arrived. I have never fitted one. Any hints, tips and photographs would be much appreciated. Does it have it's own speed controller. If yes, any suggestions? Should I wire it up as it's own entity with switch battery etc?

Cheers

Doonie.

des

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 23:31:11 »
G'day Doonie

Yes, you'll need an ESC for your bow thruster.  The unit I have used is an ACTion Electronics P93 from Component Shop in UK - there is usually an ad for them on the sidebar of this web page.

The P93 has about 20 different modes that you can use.  You can set it up as a standard ESC, but with output voltage limited to 12V, 7.6V or 5V;  it provides a reversible output so the thruster works in either direction.  You will need a separate radio channel to control it - the side-to-side movement on one of the variable control levers on your transmitter will do the job.

Des.