Author Topic: An Assurance class conversion to Diesel power.  (Read 2818 times)

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: An Assurance class conversion to Diesel power.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 01:03:22 »
A couple of comparison pictures, of the Assurance class as built and the conversion to Diesel power.
Tugs are for life      George B

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 00:18:23 »
All done now , test tank trials done ready for sea trials now.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 12:08:23 »
What a cracker! That turned out excellently, as usual, George. Your work is always very impressive Ė and inspiring, and your regular input is keeping the forum alive.
Must just about be a record build too, considering you stopped for a refreshment break. Would be a shame to have a breather between projects when you're in such good form Ė he he.

Great subject too. So different from an Assurance, a real transition from '40s to early '60s design. How do you go about picking a project?

Steve

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 21:46:43 »
Looks great George!  Did those pix I sent do you any good?    Get it in the water and on a nice windy day!!  Look forward to pix!

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 21:50:56 »
George I just noticed you named your other one RESTIVE, which is the real tug used in the movie, THE KEY, which my W39 is based upon!

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 00:41:56 »
Hi Steve, as for picking a subject, I am now at the stage of looking for tugs from the 1900 to 1975 era that catch my eye, modern tugs do nothing for me I am afraid,  my brother John is the modern tug builder ( tugnut) on the forum.

Ant yes thanks Tug the pictures were very handy being an ex civilian tuggie I canít bring myself to paint a lovely tug grey,so chose the yard craft (RFA) colours instead,  Although a good few years ago I did build an Assurance class at 1/32nd scale completely plank on frame, as Assiduose because when she was managed by Watkins during the war my Dad was Chief Engineer on her.
The model was fitted with a cheddar proteus steam plant as well.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2018, 07:21:07 »
Her sea trials went well this morning, no really rough water I am Afraid.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2018, 09:52:30 »
Looks great!  Another beautiful job. I forget what motor you used in this one.  Was it the kit supplied motor or did you go another route with it?  Seems to scoot right along, looks faster than mine with its supplied motor.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 10:08:13 »
Hi tug, she has got an MFA 800 motor theybare not very expensive about £29 and it is driving the kit Prop, I didnít know that the kit came with a motor , the two that I have had didnít.
I think though that I will take some pitch off of the prop asshe is a bit fierce.

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 11:15:28 »
Mine came with a MFA 500 which might explain the "fierceness" of your system, lol. Not sure it was actually part of the kit, but was the recommended motor.

caliph

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 11:28:11 »
And another superb tug slides down the slipway built by George. It's good to see how they were converted after naval service to carry on working for many years in private companies. That knowledge is being passed on everytime one of these is built. The quality of building gives us all somthing to aim for, Wonderful job George.  Brian

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 14:45:28 »
Mine came with a MFA 500 which might explain the "fierceness" of your system, lol. Not sure it was actually part of the kit, but was the recommended motor.

Yes thatís right, but we have a 16ft Tanker in the club to tow around so having a bit of power helps, plus after conversion they had 4,200 hp ,2x 9 cyl cooper Bessemer. Engines, and compared to the 1300 they were built with ,quite a step up.
Well thatís my excuse anyway He He 😂😂😂😂😂😂
All the best mate. George.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 14:49:45 by model tugman »

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 14:46:05 »
And another superb tug slides down the slipway built by George. It's good to see how they were converted after naval service to carry on working for many years in private companies. That knowledge is being passed on everytime one of these is built. The quality of building gives us all somthing to aim for, Wonderful job George.  Brian

Thank you kind sir.  Geo.