Author Topic: Amsterdam Tug  (Read 1093 times)

Toby

• Site Supporter
Re: Amsterdam Tug
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 18:36:13 »
Epoxy outside

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 20:55:15 »

I have been working on Amsterdam. I noticed in a photo that the forecastle bulwark at the bow is round and not at a sharp angle as per plan and others' models.  So I have been modifying (Tannerising). I have also cut a squarish hole in the hull ready for the anchor well which I have yet to make and fit.  

Looking at more photos, I found that the stern shape was wrong  and so I sanded it to shape; rolled the side to the top. I will try to finish that tomorrow. Looks more realistic I believe too.

This then lead me to look for other photos online. There are only one or two basic images of the real ship; some better ones would be a real blessing. However, whilst they highlight a few changes during the ship's life, they nonetheless all show that there were no wash ports, let alone three slots cut into each side of the bulwarks. More research needed.... anther build held up.

In the photos of the military sister ships, there are differing types and sizes of wash ports, but, not in one of the photos of the  Amsterdam are wash ports visible. 

Regards,

Toby

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 07:03:09 »
Have you ever finished a tug yet Toby?  You seem to have many on the go but no finished articles yet.
Tugs are for life      George B

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 07:16:43 »
Hello George

Good to hear from you George.

I am trying to get them finished, honest😁.
A friend in the US keeps asking me the same question.

We still have the hydraulic lunch to imbibe.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 07:39:31 »
13 on the go. Just that when info is lacking or parts hard to find or make it holds up the job and so I fill the time by getting something else underway.

You have said to me that research can take as long as a build.

Happy New Year to you.

Will be in London in February.

Toby

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 12:39:25 »
It would be very unusual to have no freeing/wash ports/scuppers on an ocean going tug with a deck that close to the waterline.
I had a look at some of the images online and they are all fairly poor quality or very low res so it's hard to see if it did have ports with covers. I imagine that they do but are too hard to distinguish because of the poor quality.
The kit makers would have had a better look at the real thing at the time so their inclusion of any ports is probably right. The kit itself it quite basic so having no covers isn't surprising.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 13:15:41 »
Yes,
As most vessels have some form of water release from the deck it seems odd I agree that this vessel wouldn't have had.

T

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 13:18:22 »
I have just come across this photo of Hamburg, attached below, which is the Amsterdam prior to its purchase and renaming by Wijsmuller. I do believe there are slits in the bulwarks for decking/ superstructure/ objects can be seen.

What do you think?

T
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 13:25:11 by Toby »