Author Topic: Amsterdam Tug  (Read 3080 times)

Toby

• Site Supporter
Amsterdam Tug
« on: December 30, 2017, 14:00:38 »
Hello everyone,

Trust you have had a Happy Christmas and that you will have much fun boating in 2018.

Can anyone advise whether or not drawings for the tug, Amsterdam, are available. Considering that there appears to have been many models built, I find it strange that, to date, I have not been able to find plans for the model.

I have just found a few photos of the full- size ship and of the sister ships but not plans; not even a photo of any. The internet seems quite lacking albeit there are images of a variety of models.

Toby

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Re: Amsterdam Tug
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 08:01:59 »
Morning Toby and happy new year.  Are you looking for " real life" plans, or the plans that Artesiana provided with there Kit?  I think I still have the kit plans somewhere.  Let me know if that is what you are seeking.

Norm

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 08:39:18 »
Hello Norm,

Thank you for your message.

I would be glad of anything!

How accurate is the kit plan? Are you implying that the kit plan is a little different to the real plan/boat.

I thought of building a wooden hull but at times the superstructure is the difficult part to assess and make accurately from photos only.

Toby

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 07:45:40 »
Mornin' Toby.  Tried posting a couple of pics I took of the drawings of Amsterdam last night to see if it is what you are looking for, but the web site would not accept my pictures.  Will keep trying.

Norm

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 08:35:55 »
Norm

Thank you for your efforts.
Sometimes picture uploading suffers on here. I Havre frequently found that I have to retake the picture as though the photo is faulty. Also the file cannot be too large and modern technology likes to create huge  files for images.

Toby

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 10:19:53 »
Hi Toby,  not having much luck here, but since you included your email addr. I will try emailing it to you.  The pic is 2.4mb so I don't know why that wont send on here.  Just got a new laptop with the updated windows so I'm not totally familiar with the new format. 

Norm

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 13:46:55 »
Norm

Thank you so much for the images re the kit version of Amsterdam.  They are very useful.
Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 13:55:42 »
I have found a few photos of the full- size Amsterdam but as they are not close- up I was wondering if any member had any sharp/ detailed photos of the full-size ship perhaps from their model build so I can compare. I am not quite at superstructure level yet but may as well  research in advance.

Toby

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 21:42:49 »
A few images of the Amsterdam pop up in a Google search.
She had a couple of sister ships in the French Navy: Malabar, Tenace and Centaure.
Google has a good selection of them too.
Surprisingly, shipspotting.com is a bit light on them and Amsterdam.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 05:23:50 »
The ones I have found excepting one of them are not very close or sharp for detail of Windows, doors  etc

I suppose unless the works in Netherlands have archive photos just a case of wait to see what is uploaded in the future.

Thanks

Toby
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 18:38:49 by Toby »

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 05:28:30 »
I am having difficulty getting the Isopon resin to dry totally On the outer hull. Not sure what is the problem. Inside is ok. I have only just realised they this resin is polyester and not epoxy.

Anyhow when this dries can anyone say how best to achieve the anchor well in the hull.  It seems that most models have a plate on the outside and any anchor on full show but the photos of the full-size I have seen there seems to be a housing for the anchor.
I would like the anchors working or at least set up to work if wanted and housed correctly.

What Have other members done in this area?

Toby
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 13:02:57 by Toby »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 12:26:44 »
Polyester is very temperature dependent for curing. Air temp needs to be at least 16C/60F. If it hasn't cured to a completely dry stage within a couple of hours chances are it won't. That can mean having to scrape it of and starting again. I use it a lot but never on a very cold day.

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 13:04:50 »
 Thanks.

I have never had issue before so have been somewhat surprised. It is expensive stuff not to work properly. 

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 13:11:11 »
Another matter/ observation has arisen re this tug, Amsterdam. Viewing a number of photographs I note on a number of models that the decking appears to be two-tone planking by alternate rows. Is this how the original vessel was decked?  It would seem extravagant for tug decking. Not sure that any top ocean liners were ever so dressed.

Toby

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 18:27:24 »
Basic hull done.
Thought it was ok.
Put some epoxy resin inside and coated the wood.
When dry turned down the lights in the room and shone a light directly into the hull to see if any light shone through.
It did but those places had been filled with the epoxy. However I thought I should put a little epoxy on the outside over the filled gaps. Now to wait for it all to dry.
What, if anything, do other members put on their wooden hulls before priming and painting them.

Toby