Author Topic: Wanganui River Steam Tug: Kumea  (Read 4986 times)

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
Re: Wanganui River Steam Tug: Kumea
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2018, 20:41:07 »
Very nice love all the brass work.
john b

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2018, 12:49:10 »
Thanks John, I'm enjoying your latest project.

Well the funnel turned out OK.

Got some paint onto it and it looks alright.

The red of the funnel needs to match the ventilators. These are 3D printed and can't handle enamel paint so I need to do these parts in acrylic.
I have a love/hate relationship with acrylics. Some brands and some colours are OK but there seems to be a great variance between them.
The red that I ended up using is very transparent and took a lot of coats to get a smooth even finish. It ended up darker than I had planned because of all the transparent layers.
I can live with it. At least they dry quickly.

The ivory band is crying out for an emblem or logo of some sort the K is just to see how something would look, it won't be staying.

The water tank (I think it's a water tank) goes immediately behind the wheelhouse. I assume it is for the galley and head. Or it's an oil tank for the generator?

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2018, 13:35:28 »
Once the funnel was completed I could start assembling the final superstructure. I don't usually do this until I have made every component. This time I couldn't resist seeing how it all worked together.

First step was to attach a very basic telegraph to the wheelhouse/bridge deck.

A friend's father worked at for Wanganui Harbour Board in the 1950s. He remembers going onboard a tug with his dad as a young boy, and particularly remembers that the cast iron step treads had a fish scale pattern on them. I've tried to re-create that pattern on the steps/companionway.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2018, 13:36:31 »
He also has some timber that this father 'salvaged' from a tug undergoing repairs around this time that will be the stand for this Kumea. Yes - he is also a 'magpie' and can't throw anything out like me. So I now have a 100 year old piece of timber, with history, for the final touches. My friend also has the red glass from a port nav light from a tug from that era. It is the most intense red I've ever seen in glass, it is a very beautiful piece of glass.

The other bits and pieces all fitted together with out any drama. Threading the funnel stays was a delicate wee process, I'll have to be very careful not to snag them.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2018, 13:37:11 »
So far so good. Now I have to wait for Shapeways to deliver some capstans and winch drums before I can go any further.

I'll have to find something to do while I'm waiting. Mmmm...