Author Topic: Newbie here with Prop question  (Read 917 times)

ckoz50

Newbie here with Prop question
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:21:45 »
Hi everyone.

I'm restoring a really cool 60's era tug. Manufacturer unknown. It currently has a 1" 3 blade black plastic prop that uses a set screw to hold it on a 1/8" drive shaft. I'm having a hard time finding a replacement. Most are either ID threaded or are thru hole with a drive dog shaft.

Any ideas who might have one?

Any help would be appreciated.

spud

• Site Supporter
Re: Newbie here with Prop question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 09:17:56 »
Hi ckoz50

Welcome to the forum

Could you post a picture of the problem please , it may help ones of the members recommend a replacement also which country you live.
My first thoughts are that all brass props are threaded generally m4 or m5 (in the uk )

Spud

marinaru_ro

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 22:44:19 »
Hi
Post a pic please. i might be able to halp.
George

ckoz50

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 07:28:07 »
Sorry for the long delay on my response. This looks like an 1-1/2" diameter prop with an 1/8" bore that uses a set screw to hold it on the shaft. There is no threaded bore to screw onto. I could, if pushed to it, chase threads onto the shaft, but I really don't want to go that far.  The picture shows the prop.

If I can find a brass prop with no threads in the bore, I can easily drill and tap a set screw hole to hold it on.

Thanks again..
Chris
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:47:13 by ckoz50 »

des

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 14:10:10 »
You can try SIMON HIGGINS (simonhiggins181@btinternet.com), who I think is ex Propshop in the UK.  Send him an email with the details of your existing prop, and he should be able to give you a price to replicate it in brass - with the grub screw hole already drilled and tapped for you.

Des.

ckoz50

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 04:31:14 »
Thank you...