Author Topic: Another Amsterdam Tug  (Read 782 times)

Z750jay

Another Amsterdam Tug
« on: April 02, 2018, 23:12:57 »
Hi all,
A ‘not quite a newbie’ here. Made a Springer tug 3 years ago which got me back into the hobby but got derailed and into warships for a while (I am part of the Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team). Luckily, I managed to pick up a rather abused 2nd hand Amsterdam tug last week. The intention is to convert it to one of the other 3 in the class that served with the French Navy. It will be used for towing as well as our camera/rescue boat so accuracy and detail will come second to functionality of its role. 
Luckily I have found a ton of photos online of the French ones so have a good idea of layout etc. For the bits without photos I can ‘wing it’ from my experiance of serving and refitting warships.
First job is ripping out all the electrics other than the motor and giving the hull a good looking at to work out where I need to add strengtheners, any defects and how to improve the access panel sealing

Z750jay

Re: Another Amsterdam Tug
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 23:23:33 »
Managed to shrink down some photos. First is what it is currently like, second with the superstructure and access panels off, and the last is the big pile of bits left over!

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 12:28:29 »
The Centaure, Malabar and Tenace all look better than the civilian version. Which one are you doing?

Toby

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 13:21:12 »
Hello,
I shall watch with interest. One of my many boat projects is one of these girls. I am currently cutting away in the bow to create a proper anchor housing, as none was indicated on the plan; for some reason both versions of this model have some weird excuse of a hole only with the anchor to sit ridiculously out of place on the outside of the hull.  Strange.
I will build a housing to suit and then replicate for the other side of the hull. Other things have to be adjusted for accuracy but that is ok because you will be changing things in order to turn her into one of the French navy ships.

Toby