Author Topic: Any model boat clubs in Wellington NZ area  (Read 3364 times)

tassie48

Any model boat clubs in Wellington NZ area
« on: May 09, 2018, 14:04:01 »
Hi any good model boat clubs in and around Wellington NZ that model scale boats tugs etc if not any you guys want to start a local scale club or just meet and sail in and around the wellington area I am shifting to Levin area and are keen to meet like minded modellers if you are not into the club thing happy to meet at local pond/lake and sail around have a laugh etc I sail on fresh water sail on the ocean salt water most weathers and enjoy our hobby  Gregg tassie48

tassie48

Re: Any model boat clubs in Wellington NZ area
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:14:36 »
Not much of a reply guys matter of a fact nothing so I plan to start one myself to be called the greater Wellington Maritime modellers club open to one and all scale boats only Steam Sail Scale static and R/C to foster the encouragement of model boating will get a web site started post sail dates and were we sail fresh and salt water will be linked to Here Tugforum and Modelboatmayhem sites   keen to spread the word and to get people back and new builders into this hobby currently looking into legals name rego etc so will kick off a new club seems someone has to get them back on the water again tassie48

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 17:50:20 »
There was one (Greater Wellington Marine Modellers). Haven't seen much from them recently.
They used to meet at Southwards in Peka Peka, and Avalon Park in the Hutt.
Tiaki (member here) was an active member back then, he may know what the current status is. I've sent him a PM.
Sailing club is still active (I think). They used to sail at Whitby lake, Seaview and Aotea lagoon. Those spots are a bit exposed for scale boats.
The fizz boats guys are often on the Hutt River at Sladden Park.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 18:10:02 »
Just checked the Govt Gazette and the GWMMBC was dissolved last year.
Looks like it has gone the way of the dodo. Not enough old farts interested in toy boats.