Author Topic: Were do you find a SPAR LASH  (Read 4099 times)

tassie48

Were do you find a SPAR LASH
« on: May 12, 2018, 11:41:35 »
Hi guys were would you find a SPAR LASH on a ship Sea Monkey no,s the answer wonder if others can figure it out this was taught to me when I was  deck boy back in the early 1970,s by the Captain Brian Agnew who was the skipper on the  ship when it caught fire  ship was SS GOTHIC fire of NZ in 1968 seven died he was a great teacher at the marine training school in Wellington NZ tassie48

des

Re: Were do you find a SPAR LASH
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 14:22:53 »
Easy - during my apprenticeship I got sent to the store to get one.  Also, a long weight, a can of rainbow paint, a bag of sparks, and the key to the keelson door.  Anyone who ever worked in a shipbuilding yard would be familiar with these "Items".  I won't spoil the fun by providing the answer, but I will provide a clue - you can still see a SPAR LASH today;  and some of us can still make one.

Des.

tassie48

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 16:48:23 »
We sent our deckboy once down to the engine room for some grey steam paint little sod spend all day down their when asked why so long he said he had to wait for it to be made claimed overtime and got it as well haha good on your Des tassie48

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 23:21:27 »
I still have an anti spar lash chain on my wallet.
Tugs are for life      George B

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 23:23:30 »
I also got sent to the store for a long weight. It wasn't long after they had asked me to get some vanishing points. So luckily, I figured it out on the way and just skived off for an hour or so.

tassie48

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 13:21:36 »
SPAR LASH or Spur lash most ships have one or more it is the sound the anchor makes when it hits the water tassie48

des

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 14:28:34 »
OK - I got it wrong;  I took it more literally.

SPAR LASH -
1 - A rope lashing that joins two spars, eg lashing an extension to a yard arm in order to set studding sails (on a square rigger);  or

2 - a lashing to secure the foot of a sail to a boom, or the head of a sail to a gaff or yard arm.

Des.

tassie48

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 22:22:53 »
Sorry Des just having some fun trying to liven the joint up tassie48