Author Topic: Working tow winch  (Read 737 times)

tassie48

Working tow winch
« on: May 24, 2018, 22:03:44 »
Being building model boats for over 45 years and have had quite a few tugboats over the years more than happy to share my knowledge I made a working winch a few times I found a bait caster fishing reel these are the ones that load the line back on the reel same as a large tow winch operates self tailoring so first strip it down clean it and remove the  bearings some times these are just one way bearings get the size of them and buy ss bearings the same size , refit to reel and check operation it should now go fwd and backward ok .Next replace the handle with either a pulley and belt drive system chain drive etc and afix the electric motor mounting in the boat as required were the reel mounts on the rod I drilled and bolted the reel down to solid plywood or pine wood timber  then fit in place you can make a frame just to finish off the look mine normally were on the aft deck and you could see the reel and tailoring gear load up your tow line making sure it is tied off to the reel drum I used a ESC ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROLLER to operate the winch power in and power out.
One note here I fitted a plastic dish on a simple slide under the winch with a sponge in it to both catch the water dripping of the tow line and to bale out the plastic dish and to stop water getting int the hull.
So for a few bucks you can have a working tow winch if using for a anchor winch same mounting system but use a clear plastic hose for the chain to slide on to the winch from the deck down not seen below deck and use the water catchment dish for water etc
Some tugs have a stern warping winch on the aft deck make it work is real simple I use the old servo unscrew the top part making sure not to lose or miss place the gears,under the top you will see the servo stops get a knife remember to be carefull and cut away the two stops I then remove the printed circuit board and solder two wires one red one black for the motor for the power supply then apply some grease to the gears  not too much reassembly and wire up to a single AA battery it should do about 13 to 16 rpm on one battery mount the shaft of warping winch to the servo fit inplace and wire it up .You can wire it any thing that makes it work one of mine was micro switched to the rudder and powered up when you went hard a port or stb you can make it operate a radar  and wire this too will make a radar work as well you can slow it down with a diode as well .
Some dept stores sell these winches cheap as a package deal rod reel etc hope this helps some make one a working winch as a extra feature tassie48

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
Re: Working tow winch
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 10:21:13 »
Hi tassie48 that sounds very interesting what you have done, have you got pictures of your winch.
regards John B
john b

tassie48

Re: Working tow winch
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 12:27:26 »
Tugnut have a video and tons of photos waiting on my goods to arrive here in NZ from OZ more than happy to share the knowledge the first one I built was in it,s frame the others I stripped the outer casing and used the interior the side s of the reel had a plastic covers left and right .
Just one point when bolted in place and 100 percent secure and the boat sitting on the bench boys being boys I hooked the tow line over the garage roof rafter and you guessed it ,I started the winch it lifted the boat of the bench so the reel has some strength hook ed up a huge 6 foot tug model and reeled it in with no effort you just need to bolt it down 10 mm bolts I used tassie48