Author Topic: List of working features on some of my old models  (Read 443 times)

tassie48

List of working features on some of my old models
« on: May 24, 2018, 22:42:02 »
Over the years I have made and operated all manner of model boats some were basic and others brought a smile to fellow modellers like life boats that swing out and lower to the water and back up again,working winches tow and anchor winches see my early postings,gangway that lower down and up again ,ships elevators that lift and lower aircraft to the flight deck even had one that could slide a plane on off the elevator to change planes had one that had the pilot open close his canopy and open close bomb bay doors all in 1/48 scale .Doors bridge deck etc open and close via micro servos ,crew popping their heads out of a sliding hatch once they have slide it open popped up looked around and went down below again.
Cargo derrick that lift and lower all on micro winches ,working radar ,cranes that turn and lift up down ,smoke stacks that smoke up black smoke .crew members welding on deck flashing led will do it great ,Hatch covers on a coaster that fold and stow away and slide back again,once we had a supply ship that the derrick would swing out with a fuel hose and would refuel a destroyer the destroyer had a super magnet under the deck and the hose had a steel drill bit in the hose and they would hook up and looked like he was topping up his fuel the destroyer would then just move away and break the link ok sounds good but it did take some work to get it to work had some laughs trying to do this but once the destroyer came along side and the hose was out it worked finally.
i use to get people email me on how to do some thing worked it out and they did it more than happy to help out any one whom wants to do some thing with their model .
I even had a tug that was single screw and could turn in its own length mind you it had a hidden drop down bow thruster that was hidden in the hull plating had a barge  and a tug that you could sail up to it and then along side the tug and barge would then berth the barge, again magnets in the tug side and the barge side some of the guys still think I am the best skipper at berthing a barge haha.
Twin windscreen washer motors make a bow thruster in a 1/100 scale tug or the largest fire monitor throw you will see I use a lot of inline 12 volt pumps found in caravans as my fire monitors due their power and low amp draw.
One thing I do is have one of all my model boat crew taking a leak over the side either water pump or a fishing line that lights up  on all my models so watch out you have been warned haha .
Flags I can change flag signals on a mast lift up a anchor black ball when anchoring change day shapes when towing even had the skipper open a bridge window to shout to the crew .
Used bilge pumps to trim models and ballast models even sink a ship and raise it again had a semi submersible that sunk and lifted a model up as deck cargo and sailed away .
So if you can do it on a ship you can with a bit of thinking make it work on your  model  if you want to think of something for your model to work and do not no how just email me or send me a message  and I will help you go thru it and make it work even had a lady rocking out of a port hole once bit naughty.
Have a great working stabilizer system for models if need single and twin fins I enjoy the hobby and seeing working operations I trust you learned something here and put it into practice on your next model tassie48

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: List of working features on some of my old models
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 13:31:45 »
I'd be interested to see how you do the mechanics and wiring for some of these actions when you start your build of the Metinda.

tassie48

Re: List of working features on some of my old models
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 14:09:22 »
Sea monkey you have some inside knowledge haha you will smile and laugh when you see the operation being a big girl the model we are talking about tons of room for all 20 channels still looking at a 1/48 version as well just not their yet give you a hint all functions on board have their own wiring loom and fuse box system makes fault finding easy spend last week 7 days 12 hour days researching and designing functions love this retirement gig just waiting on the design and procurement dept to get the frames scaled up no hurry mate and then look out we build 24/7 haha mind you the weather here in the BOP is c... not the best all this rain going to need a ark to get out but wait we noah a guy haha hahahahahaha tassie48