Author Topic: Fenders and Puddings  (Read 652 times)

tassie48

Fenders and Puddings
« on: May 27, 2018, 16:32:18 »
I make me own fenders and puddings the Puddings are the rope work normally found on the bow and at times on the stern counter of tug boats .
To make all you need is some time a few hours a darning needle and cotton rope or thread and either a old shoe lace or small length of rope 5 to 15 mm is ok depending on the scale .
So first thing you need to do is measure the Pudding length on your model i.e.80 mm on this build and get the thickness need 80 X 10 mm then stitch the rope to make the correct size just a rough lacing to hold them together the I wrap a binding around and around the core you have just made tieing off with half hitches every now and then remember to do this as this will be what you are tying the knots off too .
Then I start at either a quarter distance in on the pudding and wrap one complete line around the case and thread the needle and start just doing half hitches around the core stitching on to the single line around the core.
Keep doing this I now push the needle into the core and out again this stops the outer rope work that you are doing from rolling on the core add a half hitch at times when doing this ,when the cotton rope runs out  just leave it and rethread another length and keep going it will so take shape the more lines dog ends hanging out with give the pudding a great look a well seasoned pudding as you get to one end it will taper out to the end ,some times you will have holidays or holes in your pudding this is ok as you can go back and stitch it up as need .
Then start the other end from were you began and work to that end once finished you will have a custom made pudding having the darning needle you now can with a bit of effort just be careful here thread the secure lines in place these are the ropes that hold the pudding to your belting rail and stop it from moving around once you start pushing other models about .
Now some people like the well worn look others like the clean look just trim your dogends the bits from were you ended and restarted off at the pudding so now as the rope is a little new looking I stain mine either in a cup of tea black or a black coffee cup let it soak for 10 minutes or so fish it out let dry over a day or so and rig up to your tug and their is your own custom made pudding .
FENDERS some of mine are car tires some are just drop fenders car tires I use a piece of plastic hose cut to look like a car tire this is the cheapest way and you can make what ever size you wish thickness wise this is cheaper then buying tires and using them same deal one complete line around the tire then half hitch after half hitch on to each other one before long you will have a fender shaped like a car tire fully wrapped in rope work again dye as you wish and hang of the side of your tug as required make as many or few as need or model i saw had over twenty hanging of her bit over kill or a rather inexperienced skipper either way it is his call.
Rope fenders need to tell you these are easy and there's two ways of doing this start with a loop of cotton rope or what you are using tied with a reef knot this is what your fender will hang from this should look like a knotted loop now cut two equal lengths of rope the first one thread one end thru the cotton loop and tie a half hitch just before you pull it light thread the other of the two lines thru the half hitch now pull tight the first one with the second line in side it you should have four ends roughly the same length.
To make your fender take one end now before we go any further you can mark just one end dob of marker pen etc this will be the one you will always start with and use if doing it this one with the start line the one marked you will get a square frame work if using one after the other you will end up with a round pattern to your fender.
Now we begin take the marked line lay first line  it over the second line take the second line and lay it over the third line take the forth line go over the third line and under thru the first line this locked the lines together it should now look like a square knot pull them tight and you should have a square pattern repeat this till the length need at the last knot once you have the length and shape required  add a drop of superglue to the knot in the centre this will hold it all together you can go around the side and make a crown I just use the squares are side fenders .
Get some old rope 10 mm etc and have a practice at what it looks like the loop you made at the start is what you hang the fender of the side of the model with .
Word of caution here glue the middle only as the ends will be hard and sharp and could rub on the paint work on the hull .
I hope to post some pictures  later of this in the different stages of the fender build to help you guys out and to see how it works .
So give it a go its fun custom made and adds detail to your model .
The tire fender looks great on the bow pudding as well all protected and ready to shunt a boat out of the way adds character to a model .
As stated if I can do it you guys should give it a go  trust you all learned some thing here tassie48

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Re: Fenders and Puddings
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 07:10:50 »
Pictures would save a lot typing. lol

patrol rick

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 11:27:06 »
Norm, something to occupy your time on Quadra Island. Might need to have a few extra cold ones on hand though.

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 11:52:22 »
Ha Ha!  Will have other things to keep me busy there.  Besides, the wife can whip them up for me in no time with her croachett needle.  Storm force is the only tug I have that doesn't have the rope bumper.