Author Topic: Truckable Towboat With Motor Noise.  (Read 149 times)

seahunt56

Truckable Towboat With Motor Noise.
« on: July 07, 2018, 13:20:57 »
Hello Everyone,  I am back, and have started a small tug build. 
Working on a small (about 9') truckable towboat.  Everything is wired up, and I am getting this high pitch noise as soon as I give some throttle.  I asked at the hobby store where I bought the motor, and he said it was the motor and the nature of the beast.
Was wondering if any of you have run across this, and if there is a salutation to the problem.  Thanks, Steve

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Re: Truckable Towboat With Motor Noise.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 14:11:17 »
Could be normal depending on the ESC you are using.  Do you get the same noise if  you connect the motor directly to the battery?

des

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 23:20:32 »
The noise could be from either your motor or your ESC, but generally a high-pitched noise (whistle, or whine) it is probably more likely due to the electronics used within the ESC.  As Olscuzbut suggests, try the motor connected directly to the battery.  You could also try operating the speed control for the ESC, either without the motor connected, or with another motor.

If the noise is associated with the motor, and you have just applied a small amount of throttle, I would expect either no noise, or a lower pitched noise, as the motor would be either still stationary with slight humming (low pitched), or just breaking away.

A high pitched noise from the ESC is likely to be resonance from the switch-mode oscillator;  noise suppression capacitors connected across the motor terminals may help, but also may not be entirely effective either.  (You will need someone with more expertise than myself to recommend appropriate capacitors.)

Des.

seahunt56

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:38:51 »
Appreciate the info Des.  Going to disconnect the motor now and see what I find.  I have ordered another motor.  One for robots with a gear drive, so slower rpm's. 
Will let you all know what I find when the motor is disconnected.

seahunt56

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 06:56:59 »
Ok,  I disconnected the motor ECS is fine, its the motor.  Guess I will wait and see if the new gear motor makes any noise.  I know when I was into RC trucks, you had to solder a capacitor on the motor.  Wonder if that might work.  Gotta dig through some stuff to see if I have any.  Steve

seahunt56

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 09:49:37 »
Well this is what I found out:  ESC makes no noise when the motor is not connected to the prop shaft. When I hook up the motor to the prop shaft the ESC make the high pitch noise. 
(motor to prop shaft connection is a short piece of rubber hose)
Motor does not have enough torque to freely turn the prop shaft, and causing a load on the ECS?   I do have a 50/1 gear motor coming.
Also I have very little forward speed, and a lot in reverse.  Wondering if I have a defective ECS?   S

seahunt56

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 13:32:49 »
Low and behold, my gear motor arrived this afternoon. (Priority Mail)  Wired it up right away and no ESC noise.  So I am guessing that the other motor did not have enough torque and was putting a strain on the ESC.  Tho the rpm's are only 625, That might be ok for this little tug.  I can always add a bit of pitch to the brass prop.  Attached is a picture of the little motor. Steve