Author Topic: eldergarth help  (Read 2913 times)

madrob

eldergarth help
« on: July 21, 2018, 04:43:09 »
Hiya all
Just purchased my first ever tug hull...Eldergarth from MMM, its actually a second hand hull from 2002, its come with a pair of motors...dirty great things i have no idea how to mount, 11 inch shaft prop shafts....so my question is what size korts and props, and the best place to get them from

Techno

• Site Supporter
Re: eldergarth help
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 13:43:27 »
If you type MMM Portgarth build   in GOOGLE you will find a build that explains how I fitted my motors and aligned my shafts as a newbie modeller . You should glean enough to do similar in yours
AKA T33cno

madrob

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 08:50:12 »
ive built a few warships just never built a tug, or anything with korts,the motors that have come with mine are from MMM quite a bit bigger than anything ive used before, cant see any mountings that would fit, then have a nut and bolt that goes all the wat though the motor, i first thought i could take out the bolt and make some mounts up, but inside you can just see the bold though a hole and it has a spring on it.
 seen your Porthgarth build, its why i wanted to build a tug

Techno

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 23:47:24 »
Have you contacted Brian for help? he may still have mounts for those or at least offer advice
AKA T33cno

Techno

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 00:04:06 »
If the plan is for direct drive? I would suggest using two rectangular pieces of thick ply.
Determine the exact distance between your props for your hole centres. Accurately measure the diameter of the motor bodies and drill that size on a pillar drill.
One frame at each end. A bead of polyurethane sealant would stop them rotating.
I would then shape the bottom of the ply to fit as low in the hull as necessary. Alignment is covered in my build thread.

EDIT a bolt through the hole too.
Plenty of scope for being as rough or as neat as you desire so long as it works. I would probably use my favoured paxolin sheet as it is waterproof and needs no further treatment
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 00:09:34 by Techno »
AKA T33cno

madrob

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 10:48:19 »
Thank you for your reply, ive reread your Porthgarth build, i now have a few ideas about the motors, might even sneak over to Balne moor to have a look around

How big are your korts?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:50:30 by madrob »

Techno

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 21:44:05 »
70mm
AKA T33cno

madrob

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 06:44:13 »
korts ordered this morning...cant wait

madrob

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 03:59:13 »
dont suppose anyone has pictures inside the bridge?