Author Topic: home made z drives  (Read 4980 times)

Tnaki tugman

home made z drives
« on: August 05, 2018, 17:40:09 »
ahaey guys ,just getting back to rc boats after a loooooong break building other stuff and thought i would build a SDM for something different .Was wondering if anyone has built their own z drive and if they have posted on the site the building of such.Years ago i made a model of the Port Taranaki tug Rupe and used 2 video drive motors that i encased in Kinda surprise capsuals.The Kiwis on the site will know what those are.This time i want to make something a bit more scale .All help greatly received.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: home made z drives
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 01:42:30 »
Hey Tnaki,
Vanya and Kiwinz from this forum (and Timaru) built some from scratch for their OHB Karetai a few years ago.
Try sending them a message.
I built a 1/50 SDM mkI using the Graupner 1725 drives. The drives are not very robust and quite toy like. Had to deepen the hull to fit the motors etc. Very hard to steer the SDM in a straight line.
Steve

marinaru_ro

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 21:52:20 »
Hi,

i have made some, for me and other members on the forum, using brass gears and belts.

George

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 22:59:59 »
Hello Tanaki Tugman.

She has only just arrived and your quick to claim the title. She is a powerful vessel. 

I was just thinking about our Z-drive project from some years back due to the fact that we have been looking at some Japanese model tugs on You Tube. Also on banggood there are some components that might offer some inclusion in the project with 90mm Z-drives for these tugs.

Even the casting technology has changed a lot since we began the project with lost wax now being able to be printed then the whole think cast in lost wax. It would be nice to acheive the conclusion of the project.

What size is the Tanaki? These Z-drive would suit something large.

Not even sure where the original threads are its so looooong ago.  i will have a look.

Hayden
Timaru  (Te Maru)

VANYA

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:05:18 »
Tanaki.

These date back to 2012. 
VANYA

Tnaki tugman

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 15:52:14 »
Hey Vanya, actually my nickname is a abbreviation of Taranki used by a lot of us truckies. Not sure how big the new tug is but it looked pretty sharp the day it arrived. What would be a good site to get GA drawings of a SDM?Haven't managed to find any really good ones.