Author Topic: The Tiny Tumeke – 9m Pusher Tug  (Read 2377 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
The Tiny Tumeke – 9m Pusher Tug
« on: October 28, 2018, 22:20:57 »
NZ is a small country and we don’t have the variety of tugs that some of your countries do. No navigable rivers – so no tow-boats or barges, no ice – so no icebreakers, only one gas field so no X bows or AHTS, no logging tugs, no salvage tugs, no SDMs, no ATBs – mostly just harbour tugs, big and small.

I usually try to find an interesting and unique local New Zealand tug to build but none of my models are truly unique – someone else has built one too.

My ATB is one of an identical pair I made (the other is in New York); my SDM was inspired by several forum members’ efforts; there are a few Karetai/Rangi models around too. There is another 1/32 Parahaki in Auckland Museum; I built the forerunner of my Koraki as a toy for my son 20 years ago so I have 2 of them. There is another fine James O”Brien in Nelson, and there are several Kupes in my town. I might have the only examples of the Hikurangi and Kumea but no guarantees there.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: The Tiny Tumeke – 9m Pusher Tug
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 22:27:38 »
This subject certainly is unique in NZ but it also may not be a ‘one off’ it has been featured in one of the European model forums (either Polish or Czech – I think) so a model may already exist.

It’s the Tumeke – the only pusher tug in the country – and it’s quite unique in NZ. I have built a pusher tug before – the 132ft Christian Reinauer ATB from NYC – but the Tumeke is very different. For a kick-off, it’s tiny, only 9m long (27ft). That’s smaller than a small truck. It could go on the New York ATB as deck cargo.

And it’s not pretty – some might even say ugly. It certainly is ‘challenged’ in the looks department.

It was built in 1995 by Northeastern for Benson Brothers (to a Chris Benson design) and is now based out of the major port of Tauranga. It spends most of its time pushing a harbour works barge and dredge around the small provincial ports on the Coromandel Peninsular, making and repairing marinas.

Tumeke means ‘startled’ and I’m sure you would be, in a high sea.  It doesn’t look as if it would be very stable without a barge attached.

It has a double chine steel hull, 400HP Caterpillar engine with a kort nozzle, a bollard pull of 4.5t, and a maximum speed of 7knots. All very modest specs.

A few years ago the wheelhouse was extended at the rear but I’ll be making it as it was originally built – with the smaller wheelhouse. The railings have also been altered in the last few years but I’ll stick with the original design for them. As usual, not too much reference to go on, but it should be enough to work with. The owner’s are happy for me to get on board and take a few photos so I might plan a weekend in Tauranga when the Tumeke is next back at base.

In the meantime I can start on the hull. As usual it’ll be 1/50 display only.

Kiwinz

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 23:54:35 »
Nice little project Steve. Just a weekend job for you being that small! Look forward to the end result. I'm sure Tauranga will be a nice drive from Wellywood.

Simon

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 01:15:57 »
You're not wrong about fitting it into a weekend, Simon. It's so tiny I was ab;e to make some good progress on Sunday.

Last week I drew up the hull based on various photos and then figured out a simple system of hull profiles and keel. These were laser cut out of 3.6mm ply. The deck was pretty simple as the bow is just a semi-circle, cut out of birch ply.

All frames, keel, construction stand and bracing fitted onto an A4 sheet. The decks and all superstructure components fitted onto another A4 sheet of 1.2mm ply – and that included a few spare parts as well. At least material costs won’t break the bank.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 01:18:15 »
A couple of days later and the parts are back from the laser cutters and all ready to use. The triangle sections that were cut out of the frames will be used as bracing to keep everything square to the keel. I also included some pieces to make a construction cradle – this model is so tiny it doesn't fit into any of my existing ones.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 01:19:59 »
It only took about an hour to assemble the basic carcass. The bracing is probably a bit over the top. The thing is a solid as a rock.

And only another hour or so to attache the decks and pack out the bow. As this one is display only I don't need to worry about space in the hull. – wouldn't be any in there anyway.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 01:21:49 »
It's a strange looking beast!

I’ll skin the hull with a layer of 1mm birch. That’ll also work for the bulwarks. They’ll all be hand-cut to fit – hopefully!

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 20:18:31 »
I managed to get a few hours in the other day and skinned up the hull in 1mm ply. Quite a straightforward process although the middle chine was a very complex shape.

I wanted a uniform width for the middle chine section so I attached the hull top sides and bottom panels first and then evened out the gap so that the middle section was nice and even looking. Sounds simple but it took several attempts to get the perfect fit. Well, close enough that a little filler will hide any errors.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 20:20:33 »
At this end of the build everything seems to move quickly and you can really see progress, and at this size cutting out parts takes no time at all.

Capt.Towline

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 23:25:21 »
Coming along nicely Steve....keep the pictures coming

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 12:01:35 »
Super work keep posting the picture

Jason
kirkleesmodelboatclub

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 20:19:59 »
Thanks Tugboy and Capt T,

A bit more progress to report after a few hours at the bench over the weekend.

Once the hull plates and bulwarks were securely in place I slotted in the bulwark knees around the stern. Once again, squared up with a trusty piece of Lego.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 20:26:43 »
 The side bulwarks are perpendicular to the deck (not angled inward) so any bracing/knees can be added later. The ransom is 2 layers or .5mm ply cut to fit – after a few attempts to get the pattern right. The whole transom area is surprisingly strong.

Next job was to add the steering box, the rest of the bulwark knees and cut out the scuppers/freeing ports.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 20:58:28 »
Not too much progress to report this time.

Added the rubbing strip, made from basswood. That didn't take too long – basswood is very easy to cut and sand so shaping the parts to fit was not too difficult. The strip is made up from 5 sections: stern/transom area, stern corners x2, bow x2, and 2 mid sections.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 21:04:11 »
The bow sections have a slight curved shear so they were glued, pinned and firmly clamped overnight to make sure the maintained their shape.

Also added the capping rail – this will have a hand rail added a bit later on.

Strangely enough this tug doesn't have any anchor wells. Don't know how they handle that when they need to use an anchor.