Author Topic: The Tiny Tumeke 9m Pusher Tug  (Read 10203 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: The Tiny Tumeke 9m Pusher Tug
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2018, 13:40:03 »
It is summer holiday time down here at the moment so I've been able to get a few hours at the bench and make a little bit of progress over the past few days between the usual Christmas eating and drinking bouts

I'm happy with the hull it's all primed and undercoated, and had a good session with the wet&dry sand paper. It has already had a first of several top coats.

While I'm waiting for the hull paint to dry I can get on with the engine room housing and the propellor.

No commercially available props are available at the size I need (15mm 4 bladed Kort). I'm sure I could have had one custom made but I can't really afford that, so I thought that I'd try making one myself. I had the basic shape photo etched and Hey presto! a prop.
A little filing and it'll be fine it is housed in a Kort nozzle behind 2 rudders so you'll hardly see it at all.

I'm happy with the result it is for display model only and looks fine when in place.

I took a punt and also etched some props for a couple of future projects that require unique shaped props.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2018, 13:41:41 »
The engine room housing/superstructure is quite small and needed a few PE parts attached.

The doors turned out quite well.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2018, 13:44:09 »
...with the PE parts attached

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2018, 13:45:43 »
...and painted.

And yes, I still need to attach the lifebuoy hooks.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2018, 11:45:04 »
The weather over this Christmas break hasn't been great so between trying to finish off the giant Christmas ham and the humungous trifle I made on Boxing Day I've been able to put some time into the little Tumeke.

The weather has been warm, cloudy and windy perfect painting weather, so I managed to get the hull completed and painted. I haven't worked on anything this small for long time and it is a very confined area to work with. I have a better appreciation for you guys working in 1/96.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2018, 11:48:04 »
The smell of thinners wafting through the house hasn't been widely appreciated.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2018, 11:49:44 »
The propellor and rudders are not permanently attached yet just there for show at the moment.

At this stage of any build I usually think that I'm at the half way mark hull completed   superstructure and deck equipment to go. However, the little Tumeke has hardly any superstructure and virtually no deck gear. The mast and lights are very simple. Hopefully the railings don't causes too many problems.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2018, 19:44:02 »
A little more progress to report.

The wheelhouse window frames have been attached. They won't be glazed until after painting.
There will only be minimal interior detail on this model, similar to what I did on the steam tug Kumea: wheel and speed controller only.

I also fired up the soldering iron and knocked out the railings. They went together without any drama something that always gives me a sense of surprise and great relief.

VANYA

• Ships need tugs.
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2019, 01:37:16 »
Steve,

You obviously polished off the boozy trifle before embarking on the railings.

Happy New Year.
VANYA

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 19:01:44 »
Ha Ha yes Hayden, I didn't shirk with the trifle, and I certainly showed that ham who was boss.
Steve

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 11:54:51 »
All good things come to an end, and I'm back to work on Monday after my summer break.

I've got to say that lounging around doing nothing is way more enjoyable than working, not sure how much longer this working full-time thing will last.

So, I have a few days to try and finish off the Tumeke. The ham and trifle are now just fond memories so I shouldn't have any distractions.

Not too much left to do now. I attached the fender strips and tyre fenders. Attaching the tyres by chain took a lot longer than it should have and needed a few tries at each one. Very frustrating when something that should be quick and easy goes wrong.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:02:14 by sea monkey »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 11:57:13 »
A few more from the other side...

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 12:00:38 »
The engine room housing is now in place and it's starting to look like it should.

Next step: railings, and then the wheelhouse.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 18:39:46 »
The railings went on no problem, and then the funnel, wheelhouse, mast, and remaining deck equipment.

Now it's all completed and already consigned to the shelf.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2019, 18:41:32 »
Working on something this small also had its own challenges.

I'm mostly happy with how it turned out but I can see where I tried to take a few shortcuts. Hopefully I'll forget about them in a few months' time. It's amazing how quickly you forget about all of the tedious work and mistakes along the way. I look at some of my older models and have no idea how I managed to make them.