Author Topic: The Tiny Tumeke 9m Pusher Tug  (Read 4940 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: The Tiny Tumeke 9m Pusher Tug
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 21:14:08 »
Didn't need to attach the push knees just yet but I couldn't resist, just to see how they would look.

And also added the bulwark knees/bracing, the freeing port edges and the hawser holes all styrene strip and tube. The hull is starting to look a bit tidier now and getting to the stage where I'm finding fewer and fewer things to fill  almost ready for some primer...

Kiwinz

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 00:48:50 »
I know the feeling of anticipation..I like it finished before I've started! Interesting wee tug design. Keep going..we're all watching as usual

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 01:16:10 »
It has been a couple of weeks since my last post and sadly there isn't much progress to report. Unfortunately other commitments have kept me away from the bench for awhile. Not much respite in the next few weeks either. Still, I have been able to squeeze in 10 minutes here and there, and get a few little things under way.

I assembled the laser cut parts to make up engine room housing and the wheelhouse.

As you can see from the wheelhouse parts, I had to amend the aft bulkhead. When I get the parts laser cut I usually double up on components so that I have a few spares in case I mess anything up. This time I just clean forgot to include an aft bulkhead. Not a major problem I used a couple of side spare walls to form a makeshift aft bulkhead. A bit of paint and you'll never know the difference.

The funnel is 4 layers of laser cut 1.5mm ply with the ends sanded to a semi-circle.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 01:18:33 »
The engine room was pretty simple the parts fitted together pretty well and the only thing I needed to do was corners the corners down to the right radius. It's a strange shape but it makes sense when it's on the boat.

The Kort nozzle was a little trickier. The diameter didn't match any available brass or styrene tubing, I tried a few household items like glue sticks, water bottle tops, marker barrels, etc but they were either slightly too small or made from a material that wouldn't sand well. Eventually I resorted to an old standby and wrapped a few layers of 0.3mm styrene sheet around a piece of dowel that had been sanded to the right size (the inside diameter of the Kort nozzle: 17mm).

I'll be making the propellor from PE brass components as I can't get a ready made one in the right size (4 blade/15mm/Kort). The PE parts arrived from Scotland on Friday while I was at work. No-one home to sign for them so now I need to pick them up from a Post Office across town and that in itself is a mission at the moment. Might have to have a long lunch tomorrow.

I did also get the rudder footing installed.

I usually have this as part of the laser cut keel, and I usually end up snapping them off at some stage of the build.

This time it's made of square brass channelling. I won't be snapping that one any time soon touch wood.

The boat will have dual rudders. Tiny and fiddly at this size.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 01:21:22 »
...and the underside of the hull with a coat of primer. Now to work my way through the sandpaper up to the wet & dry grades

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 21:19:10 »
A little progress since my last post.

The superstructure for this model is quite simple. It came together without any problems.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 21:21:11 »
A few more fill/sand/undercoat sessions later and with the wheelhouse and superstructure loosely fitted in place the boat's starting to look OK.

I'll load these next images over a few separate posts.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 21:22:49 »
A few more...

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 22:28:53 »
That's all of the bulky items taken care of, so onto the fiddly bits.

Next step is to install the prop shaft and rudders, and the hull welding seams, and make the propellor.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 15:37:26 by sea monkey »

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 05:43:11 »
Interesting build - thanks for posting

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2018, 22:33:56 »
Thanks Mike.

Had a few hours at the bench over the weekend and got a few little tasks out of the way.

The hull on the real boat has quite pronounced welding seams. To recreate this look I used the smallest diameter half-round styrene I could get . It's a little out of scale but once I get some paint on it you won't notice it.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 22:35:04 »
These little jobs seem to take more time than I allow for.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 22:36:31 »
Still a wee bit of work to do on the hull but it's almost ready for some paint.

Also soldered up the rail that goes on top of the bulwarks and attached it.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2018, 19:02:13 »
Had one more session of fill/sand/prime the other day and decided that I was happy with the basic hull so far.

So now I could add a few hull details such as: anodising plates, fender eyes, steering box access plate and, most importantly the propellor shaft housing and its supports struts, and the rudder mounts. All small jobs but they all seem to take ages. The shaft mounts went in very easily more by good luck than good management.

The fender eyes aren't glued in yet, they'll need to thread onto some chain to hold the tyre fenders, before they can be glued in permanently.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 19:03:56 »
The brass rods are used to align the rudder shafts.

Now for some paint.