Author Topic: The Tika 1971 Auckland Harbour Tug  (Read 1600 times)

olscuzbut

• Keep on tuggin'
Re: The Tika 1971 Auckland Harbour Tug
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 09:12:51 »
Hi seamonkey,  a little late in responding, and you may have already seen this but I have used a thick 1/4" rubber for the bumper.  If you have seen the black rubber bungee cords from auto parts stores, stretch it just enough to be able to slice it length wise with a sharp hobby knife down the center (cuts easy) and you have two bumper strips.  I used the longest bungee cords and was able to go all around my tug.  CA glue to the hull and sticks really strong. 

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 22:31:49 »
Hi Olscuzbut. I did think of using rubber strip but this boat's fenders have a 'D' shaped profile rather than an 'O'. I've got a box full of odd bits of rubber and tried a local supplier but I couldn't found a piece with that shape, at the right size so it was easier to make them out of basswood. I've tried this method before and it works out fine. If I was doing heavy duty towing I'd definitely need rubber.

The sanding down of the fender strip is all done and they turned out fine a bit of matt off-black paint and they'll look just like rubber. That's the last of the big jobs on the hull. From now on the all little detail pieces go on.

The first of these were the vanes/splash guards which fit between the hull and the propellor protection cage. Then the rudders. They all seem pretty sturdy so far but the hull will need a bit of gentle treatment from now on. I can be quite clumsy and when I've tried to take short cuts in the past and I've dropped a couple of hulls at this stage of a build and I sure don't want to go through that again. The neighbours learned a few new words that day.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 22:33:49 »
The fender housing is also finished and the loops for the tyre fenders are all attached. This boat only has a few anodising plates and these will go on after the hull is painted.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 22:35:11 »
The hull has had a final undercoat and has been prepped for painting. I got my trusty waterline jig into action again. You can see by the various bits glued onto it how much use it has had it has been used on about 5 or 6 models. Works just fine but I might have to treat myself to an upgrade for the next project.

The hawser holes on this boat are the 'Panama port' style. I've had them printed at Shapeways in ultra fine detail material however I've had poor results with this material and enamel paint before so these bits will be installed after the hull is painted.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 22:35:44 »
And to any eagle-eyed viewers who noticed the upper fender roll on the bow is supposed to be larger than the lower one.

Now for some paint...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 22:37:31 by sea monkey »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 22:51:09 »
I gave it a few coats over the weekend and the hull is almost complete. The Panama Ports, bow fenders and the anodising plates will go on later. And the fender rolls need to be painted.

Still plenty to do but I'm away travelling in 6 weeks so I better keep working if I want to finish it before I leave.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2019, 22:52:13 »
...more

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 22:53:29 »
I'm probably about at the halfway mark, got the funnel, superstructure (which isn't too complicated) and all of the deck equipment, railings, mast and all the little bits and pieces left to do. No winch (good), simple paint scheme (good), temptation to take shortcuts (bad).

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2019, 22:55:38 »
and a couple more...

The anti-foul paint is quite a bright red that's how it is on the real boat.