Author Topic: The Tika 1971 Auckland Harbour Tug  (Read 3059 times)

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: The Tika 1971 Auckland Harbour Tug
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2019, 20:41:06 »
Thanks Jason.

Before I get to the next stage of the build I need to sort out the funnel. It has a couple of air intakes that need to be attached before the funnel is glued in place (between the top and second to top rungs on the ladder). I won't be able to get to them when the funnel is in place. This all has to be done and set in place before I can paint the superstructure.

The funnel construction followed my usual method: laser cut ply frame packed out with balsa and covered with a skin of 0.3mm styrene. Sounds easy when described like that.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2019, 20:42:43 »
The funnel didn't cause too many problems. I've used this method a few times now and I'm familiar with it. I'm sure that there are better ways to do it but I'm comfortable with the results.

The exhaust pipes will go on later.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2019, 19:43:39 »
So... the superstructure and the funnel are ready to be painted but before I get to that I thought I'd finish off a few items that can be attached to them before painting: the railings, a few air intakes, ladders, companionways, hatches, etc. you know the drill.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 19:57:58 by sea monkey »

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2019, 19:55:11 »
The list just keeps growing and even though each thing only takes about half an hour to make, there never seems to be an end in sight. I'm slowly getting there. Only the mast, windlass and fire hydrant to go.

Oh, and the anchor, life raft, air-con, fire buckets, life buoys,, axe, tow hook and tyre fenders.

The railings went together OK. I miscalculated the depth of the companionway steps and needed to add a little extra the side rails so that they sat further out from the bulkhead. Not a major issue luckily.

The railings for the bridge roof have a strange shaped stanchion. All of the stanchions and the companionway are PE brass.

The thing on the top rail of one of the sections is the bracket for the tow hook emergency manual release cable.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2019, 17:49:24 »
The companionway is one piece that folds up to form the steps and side rails. I usually make up a jig to hold the railings for soldering but this time I chanced it and soldered them in place. That's the type of short-cut that often ends in disaster. I got away with it this time but I don't think I'll risk it again.

My box of bits is slowly filling up although it seems like a never ending task. I think I'm getting on top of it mast, capstan, tow bow, P&S nav lights, searchlight, bitts, samson posts, hatches, doors, vents and intakes, lifeboats, life raft, axe, exhaust stacks, tyre radome, anchor, and fire hose box are all done and dusted.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2019, 17:50:54 »
Starting to feel like I'm in the home straight now. Only the nav lights, wipers, hydrant, windlass, deck flood lights and aerials to go. And the glazing. I still have to glue everything in place.

The hull is now 99% completed and has had the fenders attached and painted, and the deck vents and tow bow attached.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2019, 17:52:16 »
...and a couple more...

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2019, 17:54:36 »
Last one for today.