Author Topic: The Tika 1971 Auckland Harbour Tug  (Read 10745 times)

Graham D and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

des

Re: The Tika 1971 Auckland Harbour Tug
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2019, 23:12:52 »
So - how was the holiday?  I saw a couple of your photos that you posted.  Guess you wanted to get away from NZ for the winter.

No - you're not the only one still posting on the forum;  there's still a couple of us left.  But you're right - I haven't seen anything from any of the moderators for some time, although Tugmaster is back with us.

I was glad to see your posts regarding the rub-downs and decals - I really miss Letraset.

Keep plugging away with your modelling and postings;  I always look forward to your contributions 'cos there's usually some idea that I can use myself.

Des.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2019, 12:14:51 »
Thanks Des. Yes, we managed to miss the mildest winter in years and have come back to the coldest, windiest spring for years. Bugger!

I've been following your styrene build. I tried one a few years ago but left the half built hull in the sun for a day irreversible warping. haven't been game since. Yours looks much sturdier and better built.

There seem to be petty of people reading our posts and tons of guest viewers just not many making comments or posts. It would be great if some of those guests joined up. I'd like to see and hear about tugs from other places round the world, and find out what other modellers are making. Some of the European/Russian forums are full of great ideas and building techniques.

des

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2019, 12:50:08 »
Yes, it was at a Task Force 72 display and swap meet where one of the members showed me how he had built an Armidale class patrol boat from styrene that finally decided me on giving it a try.

TF 72 is a group who all model various warships, all in 1/72 scale so that they all look realistic when seen together.  in this way the patrol boat really looks tiny up against an aircraft carrier, or even a destroyer.

Des

Graham D

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2019, 20:47:33 »
Keep up the good work Sea Monkey and Des.
I was also surprised how quiet the forum has been lately, and how little interest was shown re my Damen tug build.
It seems that all the action is 'down under'.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2019, 21:40:32 »
Don't give up on the forum just yet Graham.
We are still getting plenty of viewers but everyone seems a bit shy so we aren't getting many contributions like we used to.
In 10 months this topic has had 10,000 views which is way more than Mayhem of RCGroups.
Have you got any more photos of your Damen? or any other tugs in your fleet?
Steve

des

« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 17:01:53 »
Yeah Graham - I read all of your posts ref the Damen tug at the time.  I just didn't comment 'cos these modern things are just not my thing (but I am coming around to appreciate them more).  Maybe we should all offer more comment and encouragement at times.  But at least no comments also means no criticism.

I did think that your twin prop drive arrangement was a clever, unique solution for operating twin screws from a single motor and esc.

Keep working - and keep posting.

Des.

sea monkey

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #66 on: Today at 14:41:06 »
Slowly easing myself back into this project. The model is 99% finished but that last 1% is sometimes the most difficult to complete. Some times I just run out of steam mostly I get distracted by the next project. This time I'll try and finish this one without getting sidetracked so I've started working through my 'to do' list.

First up: an extra 14 tyres for the fenders.

These are made from some laser cut components that I had cut last year. I had a quite a few cut at different sizes to allow me to make car, truck and tractor tyres. I now have a small bag of each size.

These truck tyres are made up from 3 x 1.2mm discs glued together, with a slightly smaller diameter 0.5mm disc on the facing side. Easy but tedious.

15 in total (I already 3 on my spares box). One extra to cover any mistakes along the way. Next they get an undercoat and a thick brushed on coat of very dark matt grey (95% black), and the fender tie loops attached.

Yes, I know you can buy them but they cost more than I am prepared to pay, by the time you include freight and tax to get them to New Zealand. This method of making them actually works out quite cheap and the end result looks good. Plus I like the idea of scratch building as much as possible.

Graham D

« Reply #67 on: Today at 20:48:48 »
Geeeeez, hand made tyres !!!
You're a sucker for punishment.
I must admit they do look realistic though.  :)
Cheers